diy solar

diy solar

Do Fire Drills

Guda

Superstrut Strut
Think about how fire could start & think about how you are going to put it out.

Do drills, get training, have equipment, have plans.

If you are off grid & want to survive, you had better have a plan, or a few plans. What if you have a structure fire? What if a wild fire is coming? Don't wait to answer those questions in the moment.

An once of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

True. Check out fire bomb extinguisher ball. I plan on hanging one over my batteries. But that’s just one level of protection. Need more.

Very true!

Although more than just fires. I'd say look at anything dangerous before you do it with an eye towards mitigating the risk.

That said, more times than not I still learn after fact. The time my hose hit the ladder release leaving me stranded on the roof with wet panels would have been a bad moment if I hadn't had my cell phone on me. Yesterday I did something really stoopid (roof was slick and went up to see why some panels had stopped producing (it was winter shade) without a plan and ended up playing dice with my life - not my proudest moment).

Another big lesson learned for me is label the crap out of things. It always makes perfect sense when I do it, but when I come back to fix something in a few years it's always which switch does what, did the yellow wire mean this or that, etc.

I like my Concrete Board, WiFi interconnected smoke alarms and CO2 extinguishing system.

Think about how fire could start & think about how you are going to put it out.

Do drills, get training, have equipment, have plans.

If you are off grid & want to survive, you had better have a plan, or a few plans. What if you have a structure fire? What if a wild fire is coming? Don't wait to answer those questions in the moment.

An once of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
agreed !!!
people in offgrid scenarios often disregard the thread of fire...
good friend of mine lost his house to fire, focking mice nicked the cables, PARTY, within 20 min the house was burned down..
take fire seriously !! Ipersonally have experienced quite a few fires in my lifetime and are absolute paranoid about it .
have multible fire extinguishers next to my battery setup and in the heating room etc...
my take on fire protection ( wall of text ) :

Last edited:
Its a great point. I have several fire extinguishers at key locations - one of them being the battery bank. Make sure you have a working BMS!. We have plenty of smoke detectors. We practice prevention - even little things like never let anything lay on the cooktop (just in case it came on accidentally) and keep clutter down / keep flammable things away from equipment and battery banks. Wiring to code in conduit and boxes.

But I admit that's no guarantee :)

Back