diy solar

diy solar

Do I have too many solar panels?

Submersible well pump? Or pump at the surface?
Does it fill a tank, and then gravity feed to the house? Or booster pump to the house? Or, does well pump supply pressure to the house?
Whatever the case, you need to determine operating current and starting surge current. And estimate run time.

Unless it is a Grundfos inverter-drive pump, I expect surge current to be 5x nameplate rating. So if rated 15A 240V 3600W, I expect 18kW for about a second as starting surge.
A pair of Sunny Island SI-6048 would do that; each is 120V and surge rating 11kW. Continuous rating 5.75 kW. So together 22 kW surge, 11.5 kW continuous.
This is where you may need a rather large inverter just due to starting surge. Depends on how much your pump draws.

How many feet of lift?
It will be better to fill a tank while the sun shines, rather than pumping with battery.

Submersible well pump? Or pump at the surface?
Does it fill a tank, and then gravity feed to the house? Or booster pump to the house? Or, does well pump supply pressure to the house?
Whatever the case, you need to determine operating current and starting surge current. And estimate run time.

Unless it is a Grundfos inverter-drive pump, I expect surge current to be 5x nameplate rating. So if rated 15A 240V 3600W, I expect 18kW for about a second as starting surge.
A pair of Sunny Island SI-6048 would do that; each is 120V and surge rating 11kW. Continuous rating 5.75 kW. So together 22 kW surge, 11.5 kW continuous.
This is where you may need a rather large inverter just due to starting surge. Depends on how much your pump draws.

How many feet of lift?
It will be better to fill a tank while the sun shines, rather than pumping with battery.
it’s a submersible pump, it fills about a 10 gallon blue water tank and air pressure I think pushes it to the house

Sounds like a captive-air pressure tank, and the well pump pressurizes it.
If the depth is great (lots of energy to lift the water), you might want to get an above-ground non-pressurized storage tank of a few hundred (or a few thousand) gallons. Run the well pump during the day when PV is producing. At night, don't run the well pump. A small booster pump can pressurize the 10 gallon tank for use.

Back