diy solar

diy solar

Do I need a breaker?

I have a different theory: ???
I am doubling down on ''Chinese Inverters come with such undersized battery cables as their way of overload protection!''

The inverters low voltage cut-out is already there so they include a cable that ensures the cut-out activates. They can now write " current overload protected" on the box and save money at the same time.

I cannot understand why anyone should suggest that over current protection is not needed. I agree that fusing the panel feed is not needed, but any cable connected to the battery needs a suitable fuse/breaker.
Outside the US suitable breakers are expensive and the E bay/Amazon offerings are usually poor quality.
Fuses are reliable and not too expensive.

The low cost inverter is perhaps not able to power the loads even with suitable cable. Although sold as a 1000vwatt unit there is a high chance it will, in practice, not be able to deliver this. Powering a freezer compressor is a demanding task for an inverter, requiring a good overload capability.

I am still concerned that there is no provision for protection on the 220 ac side. Once you have a distributed system with metal bodied appliances and water in the mix, there is an increased risk of electric shock.

Mike
I'm an electrician by trade, so I'm quite aware of 220V AC risks. The inverter has a ground terminal, but my summer house isn't grounded. It's not much of a problem to ram a piece of metal pipe, or a designated grounding probe, and run a piece of wiring to the inverter. I could even install a small breaker box with the dedicated protection (not sure how those arecalled in english terminology.. differential current protection devices), or I could use the system where the neutral wire and ground wire is short circuited.. so the breaker does it's thing when shit happens. The main problem is that' I'm not sure, nor Have I checked ( shame on me) is the entire wiring done properly ..i.e. is there a third wire in the junction box.
This is a small 33m^2 leisure home... It had only 2 light bulbes installed when I bought it...All the added loads were my doing, and other than this cooler.. there are still only light bulby, and a stereo system which isn't grounded anyway.

But, I'll definitively check the available junction boxes to see is there a third wire inside. The easiest, and planned thing is to add a 10A breaker on the AC side, since the current provided by the inverter is 4,5A constant /9A momentarily)

Back