diy solar

diy solar

Do I Need a Fuse Here

baker329

I have a Midnite breaker panel for everything on my camper solar system. I have my solar panels going into a breaker before they get to the charge controllers. I have shore power going through a breaker before it goes into my 24v Victron Multiplus Inverter. Then I have my DC-DC 24-12 converter going through a breaker before it goes to my 12v appliance fuse box. I also have my original camper panel box for my 120v appliances. The only place I have a separate fuse is my 1 mega fuse block right after the battery positive terminal, but that’s it. Everything else is through the Midnite panel.

So my question is, do I need a fuse going to my camper breaker panel (120v appliances like microwave, air conditioner, plugs etc) from my Victron Multiplus Inverter?

Last edited:
my question is, do I need a fuse from my camper breaker panel going into my Victron Multiplus Inverter? Or is the breaker that my DC-DC converter goes through good enough?
“From” and “into”
“Fuse from my camper breaker panel”

You need to identify these as 12V or 120V references. And clarify what the DC2DC has for function

“From” and “into”

You need to identify these as 12V or 120V references. And clarify what the DC2DC has for function
“From” and “into”

Sorry I’m new to solar and confused myself. I retyped some things in the original post. Hopefully makes more sense now.

So my question is, do I need a fuse going from my camper breaker panel (120v appliances like microwave, air conditioner, plugs etc) going into my Victron Multiplus Inverter?
Are you feeding the multiplus firectly from shorepower only I assume?
Shorepower is breakered at the hitching post, or should be.
I have shore power going through a breaker before it goes into the inverter.
But this is confusing- is this a second inverter from the multiplus?

You might should do a diagram and folks can drill that down to figure this out

I have a Midnite breaker panel for everything on my camper solar system. I have my solar panels going into a breaker before they get to the charge controllers. I have shore power going through a breaker before it goes into the inverter. Then I have my DC-DC 24-12 converter going through a breaker before it goes to my 12v appliance fuse box. I also have my original camper panel box for my 120v appliances. The only place I have a separate fuse is my 1 mega fuse block right after the battery positive terminal, but that’s it. Everything else is through the Midnite panel.

So my question is, do I need a fuse going from my camper breaker panel (120v appliances like microwave, air conditioner, plugs etc) going into my Victron Multiplus Inverter?
Are you feeding the multiplus firectly from shorepower only I assume?
Shorepower is breakered at the hitching post, or should be.

But this is confusing- is this a second inverter from the multiplus?

You might should do a diagram and folks can drill that down to figure this out
So I had shore power in the multiplus inverter as my backup power in case I’m at a campsite. I have solar as my main power. I was under the impression that the Multiplus can detect if I’m plugged into shore power or not. Here’s a diagram of my setup…

Screen Shot 2022-02-08 at 1.07.03 PM.png

Last edited:
Well, simple now that it can be seen! :)
under the impression that the Multiplus can detect if I’m plugged into shore power or not.
I’m not multiplus experienced but I believe that yes, you can prioritize shorepower with it as one of its functions
Rewriting this: So my question is, do I need a fuse going from to my camper breaker panel (120v appliances like microwave, air conditioner, plugs etc) going into from my Victron Multiplus Inverter?

The oem RV breaker box should have either an actual separate labeled main breaker or one standard breaker that is backfed and labeled as a main breaker. I suspect the latter.

So basically that designated main breaker is technically all you need.

(Not that it changes anything but I’d imagine the multiplus has a fuse in it)

Back