diy solar

diy solar

Do I need a fuse here?

I believe the Square D QO and QOB series breakers have AC & DC rating. You will have to check their spec as to maximum DC voltage.

I appreciate the reply, but the Midnite solar box is already installed.

My question is, do I still need a fuse/breaker between the combiner output and the charge controller?
No.

Why?

Your array can only ever generate Isc, and your PV cable back to your SCC should be rated for Isc +50%, so there is no possible scenario where any kind of short would cause the cables to heat up & burn, therefore, there is no need to fuse. As @ghostwriter66 says, I would, however, consider installing an isolator switch.

Note: and if you did fuse at anything higher than Isc, it would never blow.

Other considerations:
  1. Don't forget to bond and earth your array. I don't see any bare copper in your combiner box.

If you don't mind - can you tell me how much yours was ... we got very lazy and just started getting ours off of Ebay .. it was literally cheaper for us to do that then to make it ourselves .. I think we pay $119 for these

View attachment 15824
FYI - You can buy this from Ecoworthy from their Aliexpress store for $83.52 US. If you're reselling, Aliexpress will not charge tax as long as you are setup with them for it and have sent in copies of your sales tax license. If you're buying 2, clip the coupon for $8 discount. With free shipping, it gets it to $79.52 each. I can't even buy the individual components for that cheap.

Back