diy solar

diy solar

Do I Need a New Battery Charger

Ralo

I just ordered some LiFePO4 cells off Alibaba, and I now see that my current charger, a Progressive Dynamics PD9245CV, only charges up to 13.6 volts.

Can I use my current charger? How much capacity will I be leaving untapped? And if I purchase a 14.6 volt charger, do I need to wire it directly to my batteries or can I just put it in place of the existing charger?

Note that I do not have solar panels or a solar charge controller. This is for charging from shore power or a generator.

Thanks in advance.

Ralo

Looks like based on this chart, I should be fine with the charger that I have. If that's the case then I'm happy. More money I can keep in my pocket.

good evening; you should determine if your current battery charger has an absorption cycle. if so; then it shouldn't be used with LiFePO4 batteries.
once fully charged the charge cycle should end -or- go to a float stage that is equal to the final fully charge voltage. just my 2 cents.

I was going to buy a new charger along with two 100ah Battle Born batteries, but after seeing Will's interview with the Battle Born CEO I asked their sales person about it. The sales person recommended that I continue to use the pendant rather than buying the lithium specific charger.

I was going to buy a new charger along with two 100ah Battle Born batteries, but after seeing Will's interview with the Battle Born CEO I asked their sales person about it. The sales person recommended that I continue to use the pendant rather than buying the lithium specific charger.
So how exactly are you using the pendant? Seems like manually regulating the charger would get burdensome.

good evening; you should determine if your current battery charger has an absorption cycle. if so; then it shouldn't be used with LiFePO4 batteries.
once fully charged the charge cycle should end -or- go to a float stage that is equal to the final fully charge voltage. just my 2 cents.
Does either of the settings below equate to "absorption mode"?

PD9245CV 9200 - The full rated load is available for load, battery
charging or both. When functioning as a regulated
battery charger the converter has a nominal voltage
output of 13.6 VDC for 12 volt models and 27.2 VDC
for 24 volt models. The system is designed to sense
voltage on the battery and automatically selects one
of three operating modes (normal, boost and storage)
to provide the correct charge level to the batteries.

BOOST MODE: If the converter senses that the
battery voltage has dropped below a preset level the
output voltage is increased to approximately 14.4
VDC (28.8 VDC for 24 volt models) to rapidly
recharge the battery.

NORMAL MODE: Output voltage set at
approximately 13.6 VDC (27.2 VDC for 24 volt
models).

STORAGE MODE: When the converter senses that
there has been no significant battery usage for 30
hours the output voltage is reduced to 13.2 VDC
(26.4 VDC for 24 volt models) for minimal water
usage. When in storage mode the microprocessor
automatically increases the output voltage to 14.4
VDC (28.8 DC for 24 volt models) for approximately
15 minutes every 21 hours to help prevent sulfation
of the battery plates.

To use the pendant, it is as easy as pushing one button so no real burden. The guy at Battle Born said using the charger without the boost won't cause any real issues, but pushing the button to force boost mode a couple of times in a week will ensure it gets fully charged.

To use the pendant, it is as easy as pushing one button so no real burden. The guy at Battle Born said using the charger without the boost won't cause any real issues, but pushing the button to force boost mode a couple of times in a week will ensure it gets fully charged.
OK, I understand. Just boost it to fully charge it and leave it alone otherwise.

But wait...I'm plugged in most of the time so the charger is alway functioning. But if the batteries are full charged, the charger will operate in STORAGE MODE. This means it will increase it's voltage to 14.4 for 15 minutes every 21 hours. Is this safe for Lifepo4 batteries? I've read that once they are fully charged, you should leave them alone. Also, when storing Lifepo4 batteries, they shouldn't be fully charged. If I'm plugged in for a month straight, that's the same as being stored, but at full capacity and topoff everyday. Is that healthy for Lifepo4 batteries?

OK, I understand. Just boost it to fully charge it and leave it alone otherwise.

But wait...I'm plugged in most of the time so the charger is alway functioning. But if the batteries are full charged, the charger will operate in STORAGE MODE. This means it will increase it's voltage to 14.4 for 15 minutes every 21 hours. Is this safe for Lifepo4 batteries? I've read that once they are fully charged, you should leave them alone. Also, when storing Lifepo4 batteries, they shouldn't be fully charged. If I'm plugged in for a month straight, that's the same as being stored, but at full capacity and topoff everyday. Is that healthy for Lifepo4 batteries?
In your scenario, I'd de-energize the converter to cycle the battery. That is one way to confirm the duration you can endure without external power. BTW float voltage on PD92XX converters is 13.2VDC. A cycling of the modes via the pendant resets the 21 hour clock.

In your scenario, I'd de-energize the converter to cycle the battery. That is one way to confirm the duration you can endure without external power. BTW float voltage on PD92XX converters is 13.2VDC. A cycling of the modes via the pendant resets the 21 hour clock.
Yeah, I've been reading up on the 9100 series and it appears all they did was bump the voltage up from 14.4 to 14.6 and removed the Charge Wizard. I doubt if .2 volts is going to make that big of a difference.

Thanks!

Yeah, I've been reading up on the 9100 series and it appears all they did was bump the voltage up from 14.4 to 14.6 and removed the Charge Wizard. I doubt if .2 volts is going to make that big of a difference.

Thanks!
There is a different pendant for the 91xxx series converter. It contains the circuitry to upgrade it to the 92xx functionality.

There is a different pendant for the 91xxx series converter. It contains the circuitry to upgrade it to the 92xx functionality.
Yep, I saw that. Extra money to achieve the same functionality that I already have...plus .2 volts. :)

Back