diy solar

diy solar

Do I Need A Shunt For My AIO MPP 2424?

Atomic Ed

I have finally received all my backorded equip I needed to finish my first solar setup. I put everything together and its up and running today for the first time.

Pretty excited to see it all working but was wondering if I need a shunt to be able to know the.battery charge status. I'm not seeing a way to determine the state of charge on the all in one mpp 2424. Maybe I'm missing something but it doesn't seem to display this info and I am wondering if using a shunt is the only way to achieve this. If anyone can tell me if this is the case then I would appreciate it and any suggestions on which shunt I need.

My equip is

MPP 2424 with BB Hawk model 170ah pack.

If your batteries do not have a BMS that can monitor status, than yes you need a shunt to monitor SOC.

Aili makes one you can get for $40 on Amazon, or you can get one with remote Bluetooth monitoring from Victron for around $120.

Although not necesssary, I’ve found battery voltages to be a bad way to monitor SOC. The SCC shuts off when the battery is full, but coming out of a long night, the only way to tell what’s left is a shunt.

THe shunt also lets me monitor things when I hook up. 24 watts for a cell charger in fast mode, and whenI see 700 watt draw when I thought i had nothing turned on, I knew something was wrong and found the high draw device.

Back