diy solar

diy solar

Do I need a solar wire hub?

Trev2323

I am today new to this group and Just used WIlls links to purchase the Growatt 48v 3k and 4 renology 100w 12v solar panels. Do I need a converter or hub to connect the panels to the growatt. Im running them in series to create 48v. Thank you

No, but you should have a fuse or breaker in the line. The panels likely have a max fuse size listed on the label. You should select a fuse that size or a breaker.

Thanks for letting me know I am looking forward to this new hobby and appreciate all the info

I think what you are talking about is a combiner box, like this one.
Does your Growatt have a breaker for the solar input? When you have multiple strings of panels, independent breakers are always a good idea, if only for troubleshooting.

BTW, I would suggest that 400W of panels is totally inadequate for a 48V system. What size/type of battery do you have? I'd recommend having at least 1000W. For my 48V system I have 4500W. Don't continue to buy 12V panels. They are very overpriced per watt. You'll get far better deals buying higher voltage grid-tie panels.

I think what you are talking about is a combiner box, like this one.
Does your Growatt have a breaker for the solar input? When you have multiple strings of panels, independent breakers are always a good idea, if only for troubleshooting.

BTW, I would suggest that 400W of panels is totally inadequate for a 48V system. What size/type of battery do you have? I'd recommend having at least 1000W. For my 48V system I have 4500W. Don't continue to buy 12V panels. They are very overpriced per watt. You'll get far better deals buying higher voltage grid-tie panels.
I have not bought my batteries yet. I was thinking duracell AGM 12v OR the 48v bigbattery but thats on back order. ALSO I was thinking on just buying the ecoflo just to start for now and at least ill have a mobile battery pack if my kids may need it

I have not bought my batteries yet. I was thinking duracell AGM 12v OR the 48v bigbattery but thats on back order. ALSO I was thinking on just buying the ecoflo just to start for now and at least ill have a mobile battery pack if my kids may need it
I myself have stayed completely away from AGMs. I personally prefer a hands-on approach to battery management. This is going to be my next battery, most likely in the next 3 months or so. I would recommend Rolls to anyone.

Back