diy solar

diy solar

Do I need an expensive cell phone to bluetooth to my Overkill solar BMS?

Roswell Bob

Solar Enthusiast
I would like to be able to monitor my battery array remotely. I have a flip phone and have no plans to upgrade to smart phone. Is there some kind of bluetooth device that will pair with my BMS that is reasonable price? I am using the Overkill Solar BMS. My battery pack is in a corner of the basement. It is 12" thick concrete bunker with corregated steel ceiling under a foot of concrete. It was designed to keep a cobalt battery array contained under the worse kind of conditions. I'm not sure Bluetooth will penetrate the bunker. So main question is a bluetooth communicator available?

Those apps usually run on Android or IOS. Can your flip phone run a recent version of either?
There are phones that will run Android for very reasonable amounts of money.
You can get Bluetooth repeaters but they are not cheap. Best to move the batteries.
-

I just tried AnyDesk. It works, but for the moment I find it a bit complicated.
Maybe I'll learn. But I like scrcpy better. It does not need an Android client, it's just plug and connect.
-

A solution <$100usd would be very good.
You could have an upgrade available. My carrier is making me get a new phone because my old phone is not compatible with their new 5G network. They have quite a few options that will cost nothing, provided I remain on their network. Not a problem, I need cell service so no plans to change.

Those apps usually run on Android or IOS. Can your flip phone run a recent version of either?
There are phones that will run Android for very reasonable amounts of money.
You can get Bluetooth repeaters but they are not cheap. Best to move the batteries.
-
it is alcatel go flip 4.0 It runs KaiOS operating system. Below is link to phone.

I use old Samsung Tablets to connect to the BMS with bluetooth.
Then I use the app AnyDesk to remote view the tablet with WiFi.

My wife runs Samsung phone so maybe that can talk to BMS.

They have Android phones on Amazon for less than $40.
You can probably get a used/locked one (you don't need the SIM) for half that.
So no, you don't need an expensive one.

You could also try Anbox or other Android emulator on your PC, but they're usually a bit of a PITA.
-

Kindle Fire tablets are cheap, my hd7 from years ago runs JBD software. My newer HD10 has GPS/location issues for some odd reason, but I haven’t tried all different apps.

Last edited:
Another option is to pick up an old iPad on Facebook marketplace or Craigslist.

Back