diy solar

diy solar

Do I need to buy more stuff?

Ok but you are buying a 40A SCC which at 12V x 40A is only 480watts panels.
but you have 1000watts panels that will require an 80A SCC. 80A x 12V is 960 watts.
Charge rate of your AGM battery has to be considered too.
Do I need to do a 24v system?

Ok but you are buying a 40A SCC which at 12V x 40A is only 480watts panels.
but you have 1000watts panels that will require an 80A SCC. 80A x 12V is 960 watts.
Charge rate of your AGM battery has to be considered too.

Most of her loads are 12V, so batteries in series for 24V isn't good.

An additional charge controller would let all 1000W (80A) charge the batteries.
Batteries are 200 Ah, in parallel would be 400 Ah, 80A is 0.2C which may be OK. Have a manual for your battery to double-check?

If the panels can be tilted, put one series string of 2 panels facing one way (morning sun), the other string of 2 panels facing afternoon sun.
That will reduce peak current and increase hours of power production. Still over-paneled, but not as much.

Reactions: Dzl
Do I need to do a 24v system?

No, it was just a way to fit your existing equipment. (same charge controller handles twice as much power.)
But 24V is only useful if you have a 24V load, typically an inverter.
However, it is incompatible with 12V loads.

Set up your solar array and see how much many watts it gives out a the sunniest of times before you rush out and buy again!
I have Epever 2215bn (20amp) thats designed for max rated 260watt but can handle an solar array of 760watts! As long as I dont bang out more than 20 amps. My so called 350watt on van roof at best is banging out only 8 amps, which is plenty for my 110ah agm battery. I want to run my fridge hard and cold!

Here is the battery I have
Renogy Deep Cycle Agm Battery 12 Volt 200AH for RV, Solar, Marine, and Off-Grid Applications, Gray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075RGX1WR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_1FXYNWYB4CDW7V5YDP3X

I don’t have a problem losing a panel they where cheap enough.

I do plan to put them facing to different directions

"Max Charge Current: 60A"

With two batteries in parallel, as many as 3, 40A charge controllers could be used.
But with each string of 2 panels facing a different direction, single charge controller will accept power of all four most of the time.

All facing the same direction and at the same angle? Pic?

As Hedges suggested in post #23, facing half east-ish and half west-ish will spread your solar harvesting across the day and possibly allow you to use and store power more efficiently. All with smaller equipment (less $$).

All facing the same direction and at the same angle? Pic?

As Hedges suggested in post #23, facing half east-ish and half west-ish will spread your solar harvesting across the day and possibly allow you to use and store power more efficiently. All with smaller equipment (less $$).
That is the plan 2 east and 2 west I have not installed yet.

I'd think tilt due East and due West (or left and right on the roof) would be no problem when driving. For someone with rooftop AC, such a tilt would avoid shading.
But that orientation isn't optimum except in the summer when sun passes overhead. Most of the time I think SE and SW would produce more.
(Note that we understand flat is optimum for overcast conditions.)

My estimate (based on simple geometry, area presented to sun but not light transmission due to angle of incidence) is that 90 degree angle between morning and afternoon arrays has peak 70% of what single array orientation would be, and 60 degree acute angle has peak 50% of one array. I'm considering the 60 degree angle for a roof rack mount - panels same width as rack, tilted up to form equilateral triangle.

Back