diy solar

diy solar

Do I need to install solar in my van??????

tjbedgood

So I'm converting a 1989 ford f150 van into a camper. I went and priced out a system with minimal power two 365w panels batteries inverter breaker controller and wires ... the whole setup. it was around $1500.00 not to mention installation cost ( at least $400 probably) with a rack and other things . BUT .... I will have a charging station for phone, laptop, go pro, and a couple of other miscellaneous items. I have 10 solar lights that last like 10 hours on a charge and one fills the van. The whole reason for the solar unit was for the charging station and a fridge, but after thinking about it I have decided to use only dry food and MRIs so no need for a fridge. my water will be in a 50 gallon tank on top and be gravity fed as well as my portable shower (no pump needed was my point). I cook with propane. So it seems silly to get that much solar but im not sure I don't fill I need that much solar... so I have started thinking about solar power stations
Jackery Explorer 1000 Portable Power Station
but of course i know even less about them. so my questions I guess are as follows. 1. Do i need a full system for my needs ? 2. would a power station work for me? 3. has anyone used one and your thoughts on them? 4. what are the best and most efficient and less expensive ? prices I can obviously look up but there are 100's of them so I'm a little lost and could use some help PLEASE.

So I'm converting a 1989 ford E150 van into a camper.
Nice, I used to own the same model-year camper van. I love the 2nd and 3rd generation E-series. The E-150 drove real nice but its really pushing its GVWR when you convert it to a camper (more on this below)

I went and priced out a system with minimal power two 365w panels batteries inverter breaker controller and wires ... the whole setup. it was around $1500.00 not to mention installation cost ( at least $400 probably) with a rack and other things .
This is orders of magnitude more than what you need to accomplish
BUT .... I will have a charging station for phone, laptop, go pro, and a couple of other miscellaneous items.
If these are your only needs, a small diy system or small portable power station would fit the bill. Or even a large power bank (the type people buy for phones and laptops). So if cost is the deterrent you can safely build or buy a much smaller system to charge your devices.

The Questions You asked:

1. Do i need a full system for my needs?
Not really, but there is also no reason you can't built a smaller more affordable 'full system'
2. would a power station work for me?
For the needs you have outlined, yes.
3. has anyone used one and your thoughts on them?
Haven't used one, my general impression is that they can be convenient and they look nice and are well packaged, but they are usually overpriced for what you get, and are often lacking in one or more areas. Quality of QA, documentation, and tech support are issues too with some popular brands (but these last factors are the norm for most cheaper consumer grade electronics these days)
4. what are the best and most efficient and less expensive ?
Best + Least expensive ? the holy grail of every product search.
I don't have a brand recommendation for you because i have never seriously considered or looked into one. But in terms of a size recc, for what you have outlined a smaller one in the 200-500Wh range would probably be more than enough for your needs.

The Question you didn't ask but I'm going to answer anyways:
my water will be in a 50 gallon tank on top and be gravity fed as well
Not a good idea in my opinion.
50 gallons = 420 pounds
1. This is a hell of a lot of weight to put that high up, its a hell of a lot of weight down low, but on the roof especially.
2. The E-150 is a half ton equivalent van, Check your GVWR and Curb weight, its likely 50 gallons of water will be over 1/3 of your payload capacity probably closer to half.

Most van conversion are built on 1 ton equivalent chassis' so it will already be a struggle to keep your weight within GVWR, 50 gallons of water would make it near impossible I would think in a half ton chassis.

If your existing 12V system meets your needs, this should provide all you need for phone/tablet/laptop charging, etc.:

I presume you charge exclusively through the alternator.

The addition of a 100W panel and a $20 charge controller would likely provide more than you need.

+1 to not putting 420# of water on the roof.

Reactions: Dzl
Nice, I used to own the same model-year camper van. I love the 2nd and 3rd generation E-series. The E-150 drove real nice but its really pushing its GVWR when you convert it to a camper (more on this below)

This is orders of magnitude more than what you need to accomplish

If these are your only needs, a small diy system or small portable power station would fit the bill. Or even a large power bank (the type people buy for phones and laptops). So if cost is the deterrent you can safely build or buy a much smaller system to charge your devices.

The Questions You asked:

Not really, but there is also no reason you can't built a smaller more affordable 'full system'

For the needs you have outlined, yes.

Haven't used one, my general impression is that they can be convenient and they look nice and are well packaged, but they are usually overpriced for what you get, and are often lacking in one or more areas. Quality of QA, documentation, and tech support are issues too with some popular brands (but these last factors are the norm for most cheaper consumer grade electronics these days)

Best + Least expensive ? the holy grail of every product search.
I don't have a brand recommendation for you because i have never seriously considered or looked into one. But in terms of a size recc, for what you have outlined a smaller one in the 200-500Wh range would probably be more than enough for your needs.

The Question you didn't ask but I'm going to answer anyways:

Not a good idea in my opinion.
50 gallons = 420 pounds
1. This is a hell of a lot of weight to put that high up, its a hell of a lot of weight down low, but on the roof especially.
2. The E-150 is a half ton equivalent van, Check your GVWR and Curb weight, its likely 50 gallons of water will be over 1/3 of your payload capacity probably closer to half.

Most van conversion are built on 1 ton equivalent chassis' so it will already be a struggle to keep your weight within GVWR, 50 gallons of water would make it near impossible I would think in a half ton chassis.
my plan is to only fill the water at the location im staying at or really close by not to travel long distances with it. my type of travel will be either long road trips with multiple stops to which i wont fill the water or extended stays 14-28 days in the wild to which i will need the water but fill it by the location. if that makes since lol. i am also still calculating the size and feel 50 gallons would be max and i could probably do like 25 0r 30 gallons as it will just be myself and my dog. i also will have a couple of 5 gallon drinking water jugs in the van. as far as the solar ... so you are saying that a smaller sized system (maybe 1 365w panel and equivalent battery ) would be cheaper and workable for my minimal needs. also i do plan on carrying a small generator for emergencies but dont want to ever have to use it.

If your existing 12V system meets your needs, this should provide all you need for phone/tablet/laptop charging, etc.:

I presume you charge exclusively through the alternator.

The addition of a 100W panel and a $20 charge controller would likely provide more than you need.

+1 to not putting 420# of water on the roof.
Right now I don't have anything except what comes in the van ( generator as you said ). the van was recently bought and I am just now finishing up gutting it as I just got it back from a full tune up/ full fluid change. she is running sweet. I should start the building by next week and want to start on the power the first of the month. with that said I have no system set up at all . I haven't figured out what charging station ill need just that ill have one and beyond that I really have no other power need besides a fan in the roof which I can find an alternate power source for by other means if I go with a portable power station. so my conundrum is a full small set up maybe a 1 panel set up???? or just a portable with a couple of portable panels for it???? the price is actually around the same give or take. my plan is to only fill the water at the location im staying at or really close by not to travel long distances with it. my type of travel will be either long road trips with multiple stops to which i wont fill the water or extended stays 14-28 days in the wild to which i will need the water but fill it by the location. if that makes since lol. i am also still calculating the size and feel 50 gallons would be max and i could probably do like 25 0r 30 gallons as it will just be myself and my dog. i also will have a couple of 5 gallon drinking water jugs in the van.

I think he is saying that you could do with a single 100-175 watt panel.
Your water storage should be as low as possible. Consider a small transfer pump to get to a 10 gallon roof tank?
One of my neighbours has a black 4 inch diameter pipe on his roof to have gravity hot water.
I guess I need to calculate daily usage to a sufficient amount the price out both ways the way the difference. my biggest issue is I'm am very build smart but I am solar stuuuuuupid and building a system on and in my van scares the crap out of me ....... to be honest ( i think of Letterkenny ever time i say that lol )

I think he is saying that you could do with a single 100-175 watt panel.
Your water storage should be as low as possible. Consider a small transfer pump to get to a 10 gallon roof tank?
One of my neighbours has a black 4 inch diameter pipe on his roof to have gravity hot water.
as far as the water its just an idea ... the tanks i found are only like 6 inches high and disperse the weight great and then i could just have a feed . my plan was to fill it at or near the location and never actually travel with it filled also ive been looking into smaller ones like 20 or 30 gallons. ill have back up and emergency water in the van too like two 5 gallon jugs or the like.

I guess I need to calculate daily usage to a sufficient amount the price out both ways the way the difference. my biggest issue is I'm am very build smart but I am solar stuuuuuupid and building a system on and in my van scares the crap out of me ....... to be honest ( i think of Letterkenny ever time i say that lol )

This.

If you're build smart, getting smart on solar is easier than you think.

so you are saying that a smaller sized system (maybe 1 365w panel and equivalent battery ) would be cheaper and workable for my minimal needs. also i do plan on carrying a small generator for emergencies but dont want to ever have to use it.
Yes exactly. 1 x 365W panel, or even just 1 or 2 x 100W panels would still be more than enough for the needs you have explicitly stated (bear in mind all of us are only going off what you have stated so far).
I guess I need to calculate daily usage to a sufficient amount the price out both ways the way the difference.
Exactly!

To give you some reference points, a modern laptop battery will usually be between 30-100 Watt-hours, a modern smartphone may be in the ballpark of 10-20Wh, a gopro is probably much less than that.

This.

If you're build smart, getting smart on solar is easier than you think.
I'm a football coach but in the off season i actually build house and do renovations. i want to be good at solar i really do. I'm in the process of purchasing undeveloped land that im going to build an off grid homestead on and i know solar will be a part of it. you tube has been helpful but I'm a question guy and you cant ask a video a question lol.

Yes exactly. 1 x 365W panel, or even just 1 or 2 x 100W panels would still be more than enough for the needs you have explicitly stated (bear in mind all of us are only going off what you have stated so far).

Exactly!

To give you some reference points, a modern laptop battery will usually be between 30-100 Watt-hours, a modern smartphone may be in the ballpark of 10-20Wh, a gopro is probably much less than that.
ok so i think the easier thing would be the portable but if i factor in quality , power , and probably life the panels are better. cost pretty equal. ease of set up and use .. portable. so i need to just bite the bullet and put a 300w give or take system in and do the work lol. thanks for your help.

For the time being, just remember this order:

Step 1: Define loads and daily energy requirements
Step 2: Determine available solar
Step 3: Decide how many days you need to operate without charging
Step 4: Select components based on the above

ok so i think the easier thing would be the portable but if i factor in quality , power , and probably life the panels are better. cost pretty equal.
By "the portable" do you mean portable solar panels?
If so, this is mostly a design decision I think. One thing that everyone with mobile systems needs to think through is how often and how important is it to park in the shade.

By "the portable" do you mean portable solar panels?
If so, this is mostly a design decision I think. One thing that everyone with mobile systems needs to think through is how often and how important is it to park in the shade.
no ill either go hard panel system on the van or portable power station with a couple portable panels .. i dont plan to mix the two.

420 gallons of water seems like a lot.
I've gone camping with 15 gallons and I used that for showering, cooking and a few other things for like 5 days.

Then again, I've taken my share of "field" showers on 1/2 gallon ?‍♂️

Last edited:
Back