diy solar

diy solar

Do North American electricians test impedance?

Nope .... not since the early day of LAN installations ..... and when I worked with communications equipment.

I've never seen one do it. I've seen them use a megger on electric motors and such, but resistance is mostly king.

I've never seen one do it. I've seen them use a megger on electric motors and such, but resistance is mostly king.
I think I may have mispoken.
Not sure whether the the electrician in the linked videos is testing resistance or impedance.
Honestly I don't grok the difference beyond a quick look at the Wikipedia entry.
For lighting circuits or a run of outlets I could see that testing resistance at the end of run could be worthwhile.

I am an electrician, and we don’t have looped circuits...
Our grounding/bonding is size determined by he NEC, I do have a meter that tests all individual impedance, I use it on odd problem calls.

I didn't watch any of those video's to see what he is doing ..... but, impedance testing is a thing. It can be really important for higher frequency situations.

Had an afterthought ..... sorry, still haven't gotten around to watching some of the videos.

I have seen people who use the terms impedance and resistance interchangeably ..... is it possible this is what he is doing?

I am not familiar with the meter he uses, but it appears he charges it up, and measures the charge remaining after he probes the circuit...

Are we talking about this tester as shown in his video (
@28:08 time stamp?)
KEWTECK KT63 PLUS

Last edited:
Here in the US, line resistance can cause unforeseen problems. A medical equipment manufacturer I worked for had a customer who reported that a running pump on one of our our heart-lung machines would shut off when another pump on the console was turned on. It was confirmed, but could not be repaired on-site by our tech. Unit was shipped back to us, and service could not replicate the problem. I found that by adding 1 ohm of resistance to one side of the line cord, I could replicate the problem.

US electricians dont test for impedance unfortunately.

UK electricians can tell if there is a loose connection in a circuit if they notice that the loop impedance between N and L isn't the same.

US electricians could do the same even without ring circuits, just find the last receptacle of a branch circuit and short N to E and measure the resistance between the two, then short L with E and measure again, if they are not similar values it means that there is a loose connection in the circuit.

Edit: I'm not even sure if in US you're required to have an EICR every 5 to 10 years where they would do a long report of all the installation.

Last edited:
Once upon a time (20+ years ago now) I worked as a high-voltage substation technician. One of our side jobs was testing (and rebuilding) personal protective ground cables for our own use and the line crews. #2, 2/0 and 4/0. Part of that testing included a micro-ohm test rig, to verify the cables really were the lowest path to earth ground in a fault scenario. There were a few other more 'energetic' tests we did as well ;)

Makes me wonder how many home/DIY battery cables would pass muster if rigorously tested... :unsure:

Then again, I'm not even sure anymore what the correct spec would be ;)

I've been watching this UK electrician and he routinely tests impedance.

Do you test impedance?
Could you give us just a bit of background. I don't want to go watch a bunch of videos hoping to stumble across what you are specifically referring to.

Troubleshooting and repair, possibly depends on symptoms.
Installing a ground rod, yes.
Otherwise, generally no.

Back