diy solar

diy solar

Do shunts contribute to unbalance the whole pack off cells?

Javilander

Hi. I'm still building my first DIY solar powered system, and I've read somewhere that those measure shunts only take power from the first cell and that could unbalance the whole kit. Is it true? Anyone has any experiences about this over time? If i have a Daly smart BMS, wouldn't it be better just to measure everything from the BMS app?
What would be the smartest place to put the shunt then? right at the battery positive terminal? of in the middle of the main positive wire chain (maybe inbetween the main positive cable coming out from the battery and the inverter fuse)?

Thanks to everyone

Generally speaking:

A shunt is simply a resistor in series with the battery. In most cases, it is connected to the battery (-) with all charging and loads connected to the other side of the shunt. They bleed off a tiny amount of power from the current flowing due to their resistance. A 500A shunt will pull about 15W as heat at 200A.

Their monitoring system also requires power and is typically powered by the entire battery voltage as the shunt needs to know the entire battery voltage as well.

A Smart BMS can provide similar functionality as a shunt-based battery monitor. You can decide what works best for you.

Most shunts and monitors connect to the negative battery terminal, but some the positive, like the Electrodacus BMS. They consume minimal power and do not unbalance your pack in any way. The information advantages far outweigh any negative aspects. Feel free to proceed ...

Back