diy solar

diy solar

Does a long extension cord draw more power from a battery? This is part of a portable solar setup.

jeepabout

Hi,
I have a Renogy 100W suitcase panel with an ExpertPower 400wh lithium battery.
I purchased the setup so I can have power during the scheduled California blackouts, I work from home so this will power my modem, router and computers, I'm also going to use it for my Dometic refrigerator when I am camping off grid.
The best place to put the panels in full sun is in the front of the house and my modem and computers are in the back of the house, about 65 feet of extension cord would be needed to go from the battery connected to the panel to the computer equipment.
Is that cord too long?
Is there a better way wire this setup?
The limiting factor is the cable to the modem is in the back room.
I did find another cable connector in the wall in the room by the front door, I don't know if it's hot or not.

Thank you

Depends on the amps.
Long distance power transmission incurs resistance losses.
A fridge, and what draw from the computers? The longer the cord, the larger gauge the conductors need to be to keep losses to a minimum.

Thanks for the reply, that's good to know, the frig would not be on at home, just the computers and network devices.

The short answer is yes it does.

Generally you are better to have the longer cabling where voltage is highest to reduce losses.

This is usually between the panel(s) and the solar charge controller. (SCC)

With those little panel setups the SCC is usually attached to the back of the panel so you can only achieve this by rewiring.

A 100w panel and 400wh battery is very small to be running even a single computer unless for very short periods.

Jimmy

Assuming an AC extension (not specified) it all depends on the wattage demand on the load end of the cord.
As the load demand increases the resistance loss across the extension will increase thus reducing load voltage. Being watts/volts= current on both ends the current being constant results in more watts consumed on the supply end than the load end. Add in the line loss across the extension and watts are again equal.
Stated another way load demand + extension loss = power consumed. Result yes it does!

From an efficiency standpoint, having the Panels, battery, SCC and inverter all together, then running an extension cord from the front yard to the house is probably the best, but that also puts your entire setup in the front yard where anyone driving by could easily take it. I have one of the 200 watt Renology suitcases, I'm leaning towards just having the panels/scc outside since that's already weather proof, then getting longer 10 ga extension leads with MC4 connectors to run into the house where the battery/inverter will be. It would also be easy enough to put the SCC inside as well so it would be easier to monitor charging status.

Is an inverter involved? Are we talking about AC extension cords? Assuming a 1000w inverter, a 12g extension cord will have no problem at that distance/wattage. 14g is probably adequate but do not use a cheap 16g cord. If we are talking 12v DC, then hell ya, you got a problem at that distance.

Is an inverter involved? Are we talking about AC extension cords? Assuming a 1000w inverter, a 12g extension cord will have no problem at that distance/wattage. 14g is probably adequate but do not use a cheap 16g cord. If we are talking 12v DC, then hell ya, you got a problem at that distance.
Yes this is an AC extension cord, sorry I left that out, the battery is an ExpertPower Solar Generator so the panels connect directly to the battery.
My goal is to use the battery while charging it so the net gain will be that the battery has power by the time the panel stops generating power.

I have Williams 24 volt system set up. But I have 3 panel 200 watt 10amp each. To be compatible I parallel 2 panel but I left out the 3if panel. My question is Can I parallel the 3red panel with a 150 watt panel and bring in to the system? Basically like:
200 + 200 (12voltx2=24 plus 200watt+150watt (12+12=24volts) for total of 750 watt (24bolts)

I have Williams 24 volt system set up. But I have 3 panel 200 watt 10amp each. To be compatible I parallel 2 panel but I left out the 3if panel. My question is Can I parallel the 3red panel with a 150 watt panel and bring in to the system? Basically like:
200 + 200 (12voltx2=24 plus 200watt+150watt (12+12=24volts) for total of 750 watt (24bolts)
Well.
If the voltages are the same, paralleled should be fine AS LONG as you don't exceed the wattage your charge controller can handle, or the voltage...

Back