diy solar

diy solar

Does an off grid weather station exist?

Rednecktek

Solar Wizard
So I'd like to get a weather station up at my camp but I'm having a really hard time finding something that is truly off grid. Everything that tracks data requires an internet connection and I don't even get FM or TV out there much less internet access.

Does such a beast even exist that tracks:
Solar radiance
Wind speed
Temperature
Powered by a solar panel
Logs data on removable storage (SD, CF, etc)
Extractable on PC
NOT requiring an internet connection
NOT requiring cell connection
NOT requiring a monthly subscription

Is there such a thing or am I asking too much? I just want to pull a card 6-12 months, plug it into my laptop, and look at the data.

I feel like I'm asking too much...

Sounds like a good DIY project.
Maybe you could run a Raspberry Pi with some sensors connected, logging to its SD card.

Sounds like a good DIY project.
Maybe you could run a Raspberry Pi with some sensors connected, logging to its SD card.
I couldn't get "Hello World" to work... need something Off The Shelf...

I can frame, plump, wire, and sheet rock a house, but I'm a hardware gorilla, not a code monkey. ?

I have a weather station that has been collecting data for about 15 years. It is connected to my PC via a USB cord. I use https://www.weather-display.com/ to collect and show me what's currently going on and all my history. Very powerful software. I believe it can also receive data over wifi. Possibly Bluetooth. A person could probably load it onto a raspberry pi with wifi/Bluetooth. A raspberry pi uses very little watts. Weather display can receive data from just about any weather station. The owner adds new brands of Weather station all the time, so it should support any thing you can throw at it. Raspberry pi's are pretty cheap and I versatile. I'm not a techy person, but shouldn't be hard to do, or let your kids do it for you.
Ed

A lot of weather stations communicate via wifi. Use WD via raspberry pi to log all your weather data. WD can also send it out via email or to other places like weather underground. It can also send out warnings and alarms. I know you mentioned that you weren't interested in the internet stuff, but others maybe.

A lot of weather stations communicate via wifi. Use WD via raspberry pi to log all your weather data. WD can also send it out via email or to other places like weather underground. It can also send out warnings and alarms. I know you mentioned that you weren't interested in the internet stuff, but others maybe.
No phone, no cell, no internet, no FM or TV up there, not gonna work.

Yes, off-grid weather stations do exist. They are typically powered by solar panels or batteries and are designed to be used in remote locations. They are often used to monitor weather conditions in areas without access to a power grid or to provide data for research purposes.

Yes, off-grid weather stations do exist. They are typically powered by solar panels or batteries and are designed to be used in remote locations. They are often used to monitor weather conditions in areas without access to a power grid or to provide data for research purposes.
OK, next question is where do I find them? My Google-Fu is failing me and everything I'm seeing, unless I want to spend thousands of dollars on a full blown weather research station, requires internet access of some sort. :cautious:

OK, next question is where do I find them? My Google-Fu is failing me and everything I'm seeing, unless I want to spend thousands of dollars on a full blown weather research station, requires internet access of some sort. :cautious:
Wait. I will arrange for you.

Best info would probably be from a really good wx forum ... I'm travelling, so don't have my complete list of them, but perhaps:

... there's a bunch, and they discuss the various vendor hardware offerings, software, etc.

I've had a tortured WX home station history, as most have lasted barely to their 1-yr warranty ... most are truly junk, or not junk but very expensive, or some range of issues in-between. Anything with moving parts invariable stopped moving as it got closer to warranty period end. Many of my older models did have SD card storage, although their data storage protocols ranged from proprietary to ... well, something worse, meaning it was hard to get at the data without their crappy software.

Currently use a "no moving parts" WeatherFlow (tempest):

Coupled with this Weather Display (WD) software:

Many weather stations have some mechanism to store data, if you didn't sign up for their cloud connectivity scheme. If you do find the right model with SD card storage or whatever.

Or, go further DIY with everything powered by solar, local wifi permitting weatherflow to store to (whatever pc, RPi, or whatnot), that you might find good for your scenario. WD will store locally ...

Hope all this helps ...

Yes, that helps a lot. Thank you!

Unfortunately the Tempest is a classic example of what I'm finding available. Sure, it doesn't require WiFi, you can do it from a phone app! Well, that still doesn't do me any good when I can't get back to the camp for 8 months because I'm overseas.

Last edited:
I have a Davis Vantage Pro2 - totally wireless communication with base station from the sensor suites. With Weatherlink, plugs straight into computer. I don't use the Weatherlink software but Cumulus MX instead which communicates directly with the Weatherlink dongle. No internet etc required.

So I'd like to get a weather station up at my camp but I'm having a really hard time finding something that is truly off grid. Everything that tracks data requires an internet connection and I don't even get FM or TV out there much less internet access.

Does such a beast even exist that tracks:
Solar radiance
Wind speed
Temperature