diy solar

diy solar

Does anyone have any experience with this generator?

Get the Harbor Freight and the 2 year warranty. Its 100% a copy of the 2000watt Yamaha. I take them well over 5000 hours.
Here is the warranty: We guarantee the emissions control system on your engine will be free from defects in material and workmanship for two (2) years, provided there has been no improper maintenance, misuse, or abuse of your engine. We guarantee this product to be free from defects in materials and workmanship for 90 days from the date of purchase. Limitations apply.

I was speaking of the add-on warranty that gets sold to you at the register. With that after 90 days you get to exchange it 2x no questions asked. Drain the oil and the gas and take it back. I tend to run one of these a good amount in the winter with a small charger just about at idle to keep me topped off for the night and so I can get on the game PC and suck some watts.

Those Predator harbor freight gennys have been pretty impressive and comparable to others in that range.
Harbor freight offers recourse on bad ones without expensive shipping.
check out the comparisons on
you tube. There are a few out there.
There are some things harbor freight sells that are cheap junk and some things that make the grade.
Predator gennys have shown good results. I just bought a Firman quiet inverter generator 3200/2900w from Costco for $499.00. Weighs about 75lbs. Costco has the best return policies going and people I know have good things to say about Firman. Based in Phoenix Az. Price good til 12/22
AF6C05DF-F551-4941-AB94-B2FC2D7834E2.png

Last edited:
Those Predator harbor freight gennys have been pretty impressive and comparable to others in that range.
Harbor freight offers recourse on bad ones without expensive shipping.
check out the comparisons on
you tube. There are a few out there.
There are some things harbor freight sells that are cheap junk and some things that make the grade.
Predator gennys have shown good results. I just bought a Firman quiet inverter generator 3200/2900w from Costco for $499.00. Weighs about 75lbs. Costco has the best return policies going and people I know have good things to say about Firman. Based in Phoenix Az. Price good til 12/22
View attachment 2730
That's really nice looking, but I can't lift 75#'s and 47 lbs. is REALLY pushing it for me. (Back disibilities). That limits my choices quite a bit. I will need to be able to lift it in and out of a vehicle. Later on, I will be in a house and will be able to have a bigger one with some kind of hoist. As it is, I should go to Harbor Freight and see if that one is even possible! Thanks!

Last edited:
Check out Westinghouse 2200 watt. I got mine at Family Farm and Home in Michigan for $389+ tax only 46lbs nice and quiet but not the price of a Honda

Avoid the discount / no-name Chinese High Frequency inverter Generators. BTW the Westinghouse, Energizer and several other (non associated labels) all go back to a VAR Importer "Midland Power Inc" and have nothing to do with the real companies with those names... BTDT and their tech support laughs and says "what do you expect from cheap Chinese product". I got one of their Energizer 3200's... max 2800W, 2 weeks after new, all it's electronics were replaced under warranty (took 3 weeks back ordered parts to china) then the carburetor (electronic control) developed a bad flutter "thy said it's normal" yeah, floating 500rpm up & down is normal... NOT....

I've had Honda's and you can bet your bippy on them to do what they are meant to and well. I have a large Champion 9kw which I use for my Compressor, Mig etc and even as backup on my solar system and never one iota of issue in 6 years and many 100's of hours. I've has other Champion equipment as well over the years and never any issues.... The make a really good Inverter Generator family and even have models with Propane which is a big bonus as LPG does not go bad and they are just a "BIT" more than the cheapo brands nd off brands.

REF: https://www.championpowerequipment....ortable_generator_filter_technology=dual-fuel

I bought a Honda 2200 back in '84 just before hurricane Gloria hit Long Island. Very expensive for a small genny back then, $625. Ran that genny for weeks non-stop. After that, it got used frequently, always started on the first pull. Just recently sold it, and it's still providing the new owner excellent service.

A friend was selling a Honda 3500, so I bought it. No idea how old it is. Needed a little TLC, but it's now just as reliable as my 1st Honda, and starts first pull. Powers the whole house, minus the a/c and dryer.

My dad bought a ProForce 3125 from a local box store, and I took it when we sold his house. It never starts when you want it to, have to pull the air cover and use starting fluid. Very poor on fuel consumption. Rated at 3125, but that's only surge, running is 2500, misleading. It can't handle nearly the load my old Honda 2200 could.

You get what you pay for.

That's really nice looking, but I can't lift 75#'s and 47 lbs. is REALLY pushing it for me. (Back disibilities). That limits my choices quite a bit. I will need to be able to lift it in and out of a vehicle. Later on, I will be in a house and will be able to have a bigger one with some kind of hoist. As it is, I should go to Harbor Freight and see if that one is even possible! Thanks!

Most generators either come with wheels or have a wheel kit. Add a ramp, and it becomes much easier to wheel in and out of the car/truck.

Bought a H.F. Predator 4000w about eight years ago.
I knew it wouldn't last but I was only buying it as a
disposable generator for power tool use. I put an hour
meter on it, and only use ethanol-free gas.

It is still going strong. Usually starts on the 1st or 2nd pull.
My only complain is that H.F. has a defective decibel meter.
Loud!

Another recommendation.
I was talking to an independent Honda technician (we used to
call them "mechanics") he said the first thing installed on the
assembly line for the Honda EU 3000i was the recoil starter. It
will break, and the hours required to fix it are terrible. He said
the EU1000i, and the EU2000i are good generators.

We were around 5000 hours when our Champion dual-fuel generator burn't a valve and didn't want to start. After 2 weeks in the shop Champion drop-shipped us a new generator. During that time we went to Harbor Freight and bought a Predator - and took it back two days later. Junk! We bought a $50 Onan BGAL from a 30-year-old motorhome and we liked that generator (and Onan) so much that we sold the new Champion when it arrived, and my love affair with Onan began. I turned that $50 generator into two new Onan Diesel generators (QD8000 and QD3200) in three years of buying fixing and selling those Onans without investing another dollar out of my pocket. The art of the parley!

I've got a champion 3500w that has about 2000 hours. Still starts with one pull in 10F weather.

A consideration to keep in mind is how often will you run the generator? I have three generators I use at times. None on a regular basis. Two are diesel fuel. Heavy fixed station generator and a portable. Never any issues firing them off. They just work. The third is or I should say was a gasoline generator. The gas generator is a Colman 1600 Sport generator that I converted to run off propane. This generator is used to charge up and power my fifth wheel trailer while boon-docking. It doesn’t get a lot of use except during the summer. So it sits and the gas goes bad. Every year it seems like I have to clean out the carb / jet even with preservatives added to the fuel. Propane doesn’t go bad, doesn’t spill, and engines running on propane stay cleaner. Down side of propane is that the generator max rating drops to about 80% that of gas. I can work with that because the generator now works great even after sitting for months. A couple of pushes on the gas prime button on the propane carb and it fires right off. So think about how often you’re going to be using it. Small generators are everywhere. The older Harbor Freight ones kind sort of work. I have friends that use them. Work most of the time but noisy and need repairs more than quality brands. But HF are cheap. For the price as my friends say, you can use and toss a couple three compared to the price of the better ones.

Well... I was saying good things about the HF generators and mine suddenly had a problem.
I was sawing and the blade speed suddenly dropped to about 100RPM. Tested without the extension cord, tested all sockets, and then tested all socket with the drill. Same results. I have about 226 hours, and the engine RPM is the same but the power is wrong. Any suggestions?

Back