diy solar

diy solar

Does anyone know of a one stop shop kit I can buy

WilliamC

Does anyone know of a one stop shop kit I can buy?
As far as loads go I need to be able to power a 240v well pump on an infrequent basis and keep a small refrigerator and a small freezer running for 2 days on battery.
24 or 48v battery bank setup for those short frequent power outages.
Solar pannels that can be hooked up for an extended power outage.
Want to keep plugged in to grid power while available.
Lifepo4 Batteries, MPPT type inverter charge controller combo, solar panels,
Also all the bits and pieces needed to connect it all together and get working.

I did not find any one stop kits worth buying when I was looking. You’d think there’d be, but there’s not. Need to start out with an energy audit.

Solar does not produce very much power compared to a generator, so the power that is made needs to be conserved. It will also cost at least 10 times a generator, so there‘e not much room for waste.

I looked at 12 volt kits with 120 volt inverters for my RV. They number of panels provided did not match the batteries or vice versa. Also, they missed a lot of things where the prices added up. The kits did not include things like power boards, wiring, nuts and bolts, circuit breakers, busbars, bolts and nuts, etc, and all that added up.

I really recommend doing a bit of research and finding out how much power you need. How many watts the pump draws along with an estimate of how long it will be on for the day. Same thing with the fridge, freezer, and the other items. A kilowatt meter could help, but there may be things in your system that are hard wired that just can’t be plugged into a kilowatt meter, and that makes measuring it so much harder.

I found out my RV fridge pulls 300 watts, which is a lot. I have a propane/electric fridge installed, which allows me to run it without electricity, but this comes at a cost of three to six times the electricity when it is plugged in. DOn’t understand why. I guess my point with that aside the energy audit, you become very sensitive to power consumption.

If you are meaning batteries. I have heard that battleborn is good.
I have never used them though. I made my own.
Maybe others will chip in. :)

While I have never worked with 240V system, I think there are such all-in-one systems that could work for what you're looking for.

Using Will's page for All-in-One systems, there is a particular link to a set of two units HERE, that can be used together to create 240V. I believe you could wire up some things separately for your 120V needs, and then the water pump to where they are joined to create 240V.

These units act as transfer switches when you plug them into your grid-supplied outlets, battery chargers, solar charge controllers, and pure-sine inverters. All in one, just add batteries!

Hope it's a step in the right direction for you :)

I use a Schneider Conext SW 4048 and have it’s 240v output go to a typical AC load panel. It can accept 120v or 240v from a generator or grid. From there it has an auto transformer to output the 240v to a loads panel.

From that panel I just use 120v or 240v breakers as needed.

Add a battery, panels with a MPPT Solar Charge Controller and you are done.

Step one is to figure out your power needs to determine the size of your battery, SCC and panel array.

There is so much variability in step one that it would be hard to sell a kit since you need to individually spec each piece.

Do your homework and post your partially baked idea on the forum.

You will then find a bunch of helpful people to fine tune your plan.

Last edited:
Question for the experts. I am looking at a 6kw 48v system.
Look at the following two systems.

this deal is a (x2) double unit. $1398

Growatt 48V 6kW Split Phase 120V/240V Package 2 x 4500W MPPT (2 x SPF 3000TL)​

this deal is a single unit. $1323

Growatt 48V 6000T 6kW Split Phase 120V/240V output (50A at 120V ,25A at 240V)​

any reason to get one over the other?

Last edited:
Well, these days you have options. If you want a One Stop Shopping experience for a "KIT" that's not hard. Check out ALT-E and other major solar vendors. Simplicity & Ease is better now with using a good All-In-Ones like MPP_Solar or Growatt and similar. They really make things simpler for wiring everything up. Or you can go Tier-1 High End with Victron Easy Solar or similar.

AExpert which is a Voltronic product (not a var for others) are also very highly regarded (minimal exposure on this forum)
Voltronic Power Product List

* They are the OEM who makes the MPP Units and some of the GroWatt units, in addition to other VAR labels.
Pay attention to the details on All-In-Ones ! Some can be stacked to increase capacities others cannot. There are numerous features & functions which can work cooperatively together. Additionally, this affects how you can manage, monitor & maintain your gear.

LAST POINT - KEY POINT !
If you will be building an LFP Battery bank and have more than one pack, yu will more likely want a Smart BMS to manage, monitor & tweak. With a Better grade on Inverter/Solar System like the better AIO's you will really prefer a BMS system that can interact directly with the AIO, which is typically handled via CanBus, ModBus or other means. These things go together in the planning for "now & tomorrow" of your system.

Back