diy solar

diy solar

Does anyone need premium Li-ion battery to DIY your solar system?

Here's the affordable 120a 4s DYKB Smart BMS with bluetooth iPhone app that has been extensively used and reviewed here on this site as well as by @Will Prowse as one where the settings configuration and low temperature charging cut-off are adjustable and actually works. Most he tested did NOT work even when they said they did. I'll probably use this one just because so many here have done well with it, but I wish it had more or larger in and out negative wire connection points and I wish it could handle 150a or 200a:

Here's 43 pages of discussion on this site:

Guys who have used this one, chime in on what you liked or disliked please....

And I use the Chargery BMS16T for it’s cell level monitoring, customizable passive balancing, and alarm capabilities.

I run a home office off a 48v 60 Ah battery I built with Fortune cells from electric car parts company. Since I am in the room while the system is in use I personally have no need for relays etc.

I am looking to build or buy another 48v battery and have quotes for individual cells from XUBA and RJ Lithium but I’m watching to see what develops here before deciding.

If you are looking for 48V system, you may take a glance at Power Lite Series powered by CATL LFP 100 Ah battery. With TUV certificate by complying IEC 62619 and IEC-EMC 61000 standards. May i know what inverter you are using, and see if Power Lite has compatible test with it or not. The disadvantage is you cannot change parameters due to safety concerns :).

Cheers

I have a couple 48v inverters.

One is a HF WZRELB 3 kw model (cheap clone). They claim 6 kw surge but I don’t believe them ?.

The second is a Sigineer 3 kw LF which is supposed to handle a 9 kw surge for up to 20 seconds.

Either one will handle my home office but I’m going to test the Sigineer on a 12,000 pound rated boat hoist and see if it handles that. I will try it unloaded first and then with about 9000 pounds of boat on the hoist.

Good answer, which adds to your credibility or your ability to think on your feet. ;)
I saw an interview of him and he is making a great contribution to the SAE standards committee that he chairs.

I have a couple 48v inverters.

One is a HF WZRELB 3 kw model (cheap clone). They claim 6 kw surge but I don’t believe them ?.

The second is a Sigineer 3 kw LF which is supposed to handle a 9 kw surge for up to 20 seconds.

Either one will handle my home office but I’m going to test the Sigineer on a 12,000 pound rated boat hoist and see if it handles that. I will try it unloaded first and then with about 9000 pounds of boat on the hoist.

i am just curious about how long (years) would this kind of inverter can last in continuous use practically. since they are originated from UPS inverter, can yield quite large power but the reliability is not that ideal. can anyone tell me? Since what i tested mostly are the hybrid inverters, e.g. Victron, Studer, Deye and etc., just name a few.

Good answer, which adds to your credibility or your ability to think on your feet. ;)
I saw an interview of him and he is making a great contribution to the SAE standards committee that he chairs.

you know, he has been there more than 8 years. and really contribute much to SAE standards by also taking CATL up to the equivalent level, veteran in EV automobile area.

Hello @peter.w;

Your battery pack looks very good however we do like to assemble them ourselves and have more fun DIYing, changing and also replacing bad cells ;) ! Your prismatic cell sizes are good but some other sizes would also be good like maybe 75Ah or 150Ah, for myself, just my opinion and application.

Is there any way you could laser weld a stud onto the connection terminals like this?

View attachment 13641

I'm sure we would want a stronger weld because this weld looks very short, not as good of a connection, more resistance. What we're looking for in a BMS is features like active balancing, settings adjustments using a bluetooth iPhone and Android app, like adjustable low temperature charging disconnect, high amp draw disconnect, adjustable battery capacity or voltage ranges, and also fairly higher amp draw capabilities, 120A, 150A or even 200A without using a relay, SSR. We'd like 5 thick wires in and out of the BMS, maybe water resistant or waterproof? Hopefully others can add their opinions.

Here's a picture of a very good Battleborn brand battery cut open with the BMS visible. It has very strong terminals and 5 thick wires in and out of the BMS and many temperature sensors. We would like something like this, because this is what was found by @Will Prowse when he cut it open:

View attachment 13642

Users like it when it's easier to attach cells together because there's a cap like this with holes so you can easily push a long threaded rod through 4 or 8 cells and just use bolts to hold them together, no tape clamps, and there's air circulation between cells. These are @Will Prowse favorite cell design so far, also because of the plastic insulation caps, strong flat as well as shaped bus bar connections and strong stud connection terminals.

View attachment 13643

See the simple connection method below:

View attachment 13644

Connection bus bars work flat, but some are also needed that can climb over that long bolt insulator ridge when rows of cell packs are connected sideways.

Some do it like this:

View attachment 13645

I think for the DIY people, easy and safe connection is the preference. Anyone else with info chime in....

Does this information help?
Hello @peter.w;

Your battery pack looks very good however we do like to assemble them ourselves and have more fun DIYing, changing and also replacing bad cells ;) ! Your prismatic cell sizes are good but some other sizes would also be good like maybe 75Ah or 150Ah, for myself, just my opinion and application.

Is there any way you could laser weld a stud onto the connection terminals like this?

View attachment 13641

I'm sure we would want a stronger weld because this weld looks very short, not as good of a connection, more resistance. What we're looking for in a BMS is features like active balancing, settings adjustments using a bluetooth iPhone and Android app, like adjustable low temperature charging disconnect, high amp draw disconnect, adjustable battery capacity or voltage ranges, and also fairly higher amp draw capabilities, 120A, 150A or even 200A without using a relay, SSR. We'd like 5 thick wires in and out of the BMS, maybe water resistant or waterproof? Hopefully others can add their opinions.

Here's a picture of a very good Battleborn brand battery cut open with the BMS visible. It has very strong terminals and 5 thick wires in and out of the BMS and many temperature sensors. We would like something like this, because this is what was found by @Will Prowse when he cut it open:

View attachment 13642

Users like it when it's easier to attach cells together because there's a cap like this with holes so you can easily push a long threaded rod through 4 or 8 cells and just use bolts to hold them together, no tape clamps, and there's air circulation between cells. These are @Will Prowse favorite cell design so far, also because of the plastic insulation caps, strong flat as well as shaped bus bar connections and strong stud connection terminals.

View attachment 13643

See the simple connection method below:

View attachment 13644

Connection bus bars work flat, but some are also needed that can climb over that long bolt insulator ridge when rows of cell packs are connected sideways.

Some do it like this:

View attachment 13645

I think for the DIY people, easy and safe connection is the preference. Anyone else with info chime in....

Does this information help?

@Fish Freak really enlighten me, will find way out to do a stud welding and the case to constrain the cell individually.

i am just curious about how long (years) would this kind of inverter can last in continuous use practically. since they are originated from UPS inverter, can yield quite large power but the reliability is not that ideal. can anyone tell me? Since what i tested mostly are the hybrid inverters, e.g. Victron, Studer, Deye and etc., just name a few.

The WZRELB has been in service a few years. I just got the Sigineer.

They will last until they don't! And then I will get whatever appeals to me at the time.

Compared to what I spent on batteries the inverters are fairly trivial.

The WZRELB has been in service a few years. I just got the Sigineer.

They will last until they don't! And then I will get whatever appeals to me at the time.

Compared to what I spent on batteries the inverters are fairly trivial.

So now the battery does not server you well, i suppose :) never mind, a very competitive solution will be there.

@Fish Freak and all,

it took me some time to do home work on the BMS of 12V/24V and what has been used in the current most recommended battery. And i finally know where i should go. for those BMS you suggest and used mostly in this forum, are from China in fact. and the pros and cons are coming to me from many aspects all the way not only from the user but the manufacture as well. And the one i should go with has been determined already, since my target is to integrate the best-in-class battery and the most reliable BMS. In fact, i see many BMS solutions with bluetooth, wifi and GPRS, did add some value in somehow but not that particular important if the bottom line of BMS function has yet been done well. i noticed that the temperature sensor in many BMS solution has not been treated in good manner, e.g. the number of temperature sensor is few and the point it detect may not be able to reflect the overall temperature in battery pack, misleading the BMS the piratical working condition. This is not acceptable in a decent BMS design.

Therefore, i will go to the most reliable solution without too many so-called functional add-on. but it should not taken as i will never consider those function in future, just step by step.

Now, the most unclear parts are over (Capacity and BMS). the next step goes to the out casing and the external electrode port material and design. Can also suggest the material of out casing and the way of design external electrode port? really appreciate. Of course, i will go through the review videos from Will and the others. It turns to that Will @Will Prowse made many great insights in reviewing products. Once this been decide, the products will stand in front of you very quickly, perhaps before the mid of June.

Share you an interesting thing, i just found my battery tester in one review of Battle Born Battery from Will. No idea yet how good the performances of Battle Born Battery, at least the quality of the electric part can be guaranteed by my battery tester :)

Cheers

39e8610fe090d4dc2a78ff6ba4ba033.png

the next step goes to the out casing and the external electrode port material and design. Can also suggest the material of out casing and the way of design external electrode port?

Hi Peter,

Are you planning on building a battery in a case with BMS? And you would suggestions how to connect externally to the battery terminals? I believe the most traditional way is with screw holes...… preferably M8 size that go deep enough so one doesn't have to worry about stripping the bolt. Hopefully someone else will chime in here. As far as the case itself I don't know. Curious as to what you have in mind for the BMS.

Hi Peter,

Are you planning on building a battery in a case with BMS? And you would suggestions how to connect externally to the battery terminals? I believe the most traditional way is with screw holes...… preferably M8 size that go deep enough so one doesn't have to worry about stripping the bolt. Hopefully someone else will chime in here. As far as the case itself I don't know. Curious as to what you have in mind for the BMS.

Yes, I will make the complete solution, preorder may come very quickly, will you be interested in :)?
The best in class battery with the reliable BMS, And an affordable price. no kidding :)

Hi Peter,

I have not decided which way to go and finances will be tight for awhile. And I was really hoping to have some kind of access to the BMS. I didn't think Bluetooth consumed much power. I am curious if the batteries will be able to be hooked in series or parallel? Thank you.

Hi Peter,

I have not decided which way to go and finances will be tight for awhile. And I was really hoping to have some kind of access to the BMS. I didn't think Bluetooth consumed much power. I am curious if the batteries will be able to be hooked in series or parallel? Thank you.

@Gazoo ya, Bluetooth could be an add-on option, i will add it in, probably, in ver. 2.0 :)

hooked in series is fine, the tricky part is in parallel mode due to non-balancing issue which should be controlled by BMS.

the BMS used in this forum mostly is should be called as protecting board, it is just a control board by only using hardware/micro switch since no or very few coding are integrated inside. therefore call it protecting board is more than enough.

the real BMS requires many coding embedded in the hardware, it has complete communication internally and externally by using ports like CAN or RS485, much more complicated. This kind of BMS has many set-ups in 2-level protection and balancing, therefore series or parallel mode won't be a problem. what i made in my previous 48V products are using BMS in this way.

but 12V/24V system used nowadays does not take too much attention from BMS companies, and developing period is a bit long for protecting board manufactures, therefore it looks like that the 12V/24V system is difficult to set in parallel or in series. but i am sure BMS company will come into this market eventually :). some already developed it but limit the usage within their own brand, thus seems costly.

what i am going to use will stick to the current condition, as it is also a time-consuming job for me to develop from 0 to 1. what i can promise is the BMS i will turn to will be a reliable one as i always put battery safety in the first place (the reason why i choose CATL battery). i will not take risk by leaving the Li-ion battery to an unreliable BMS or so-called protecting board :).

thanks, friends here enlighten me so much.

Cheers

@Gazoo ya, Bluetooth could be an add-on option, i will add it in, probably, in ver. 2.0 :)

hooked in series is fine, the tricky part is in parallel mode due to non-balancing issue which should be controlled by BMS.

the BMS used in this forum mostly is should be called as protecting board, it is just a control board by only using hardware/micro switch since no or very few coding are integrated inside. therefore call it protecting board is more than enough.

the real BMS requires many coding embedded in the hardware, it has complete communication internally and externally by using ports like CAN or RS485, much more complicated. This kind of BMS has many set-ups in 2-level protection and balancing, therefore series or parallel mode won't be a problem. what i made in my previous 48V products are using BMS in this way.

but 12V/24V system used nowadays does not take too much attention from BMS companies, and developing period is a bit long for protecting board manufactures, therefore it looks like that the 12V/24V system is difficult to set in parallel or in series. but i am sure BMS company will come into this market eventually :). some already developed it but limit the usage within their own brand, thus seems costly.

what i am going to use will stick to the current condition, as it is also a time-consuming job for me to develop from 0 to 1. what i can promise is the BMS i will turn to will be a reliable one as i always put battery safety in the first place (the reason why i choose CATL battery). i will not take risk by leaving the Li-ion battery to an unreliable BMS or so-called protecting board :).

thanks, friends here enlighten me so much.

Cheers

Looking forward to what you come up with @peter.w !

Peter,

just so i am clear, whats the life cycle stated on these cells your using?

Peter,

just so i am clear, whats the life cycle stated on these cells your using?

i put my partial spec here for reference, the final one would be slightly different. i am coming up with the final product.
Really busy recently :)

1591607233523.png

Cheers

Back