diy solar

diy solar

Does disconnecting Inverter under high load damage it?

Turponieminen

Basically i have a setup where timer disconnects negative line (relay) between battery and inverter. Inverter is 2500w pure sine wave and load that gets disconnected is ~1200w.
After relay disconnects there is a high pitched whine coming from the inverter. Does inverter or some components in it get damaged when disconnected this way?

If the inverter has a power switch, just wire a small relay in series series with it instead of shutting off the battery power.

Generally it is NOT a good thing to "drop" an inverter hard as the capacitors within have a huge residual charge that will dump to the AC side. I've seen Cheapo Inverters send that out as one big MOFO Spike and fry stuff. By Cheapo, I mean craptastic high frequency junk, you know, the $300 for a 3000W type of junk.

Normal Disconnect for Low Voltage case, would be better. Ideally, IF the Inverter has a relay / switch / control port that can shut it down with a relay signal or put it into "sleep mode" that is ideally the better way to go.

Will has a Video where he uses a Relay to interrupt the ON/OFF Switch externally from a BMS. Something similar could be setup to be more "graceful" and gentler on the Inverter.

I think he had another one but I cannot locate it right now. Sorry.

Ok. Thank you for this. Inverter does have a power switch and control port for remote panel. I think i will transfer my 12v timer/relay module to control inverter then. I only need to pull 12v from car battery instead of my Lifepo4 battery

Ok. Thank you for this. Inverter does have a power switch and control port for remote panel. I think i will transfer my 12v timer/relay module to control inverter then. I only need to pull 12v from car battery instead of my Lifepo4 battery
That's good that you have two ways to turn off the inverter "politely". Keeping the electronics unstressed and happy rewards itself ;)

Back