diy solar

diy solar

Does panel voltage have to match inverter voltage

if the grid goes down the inverter is off so no danger to line man,and my little 2-400 watts wont hurt a lineman anyway, if hes dealing with morwe voltage than that

It is plenty to electrocute someone.
Over 30 mA, can't let go. Something higher, stops the heart.

Your 400W 120V 3.3A could step up through transformer to 600V 0.7A, or other depending on transformer.
Lineman expected zero volts because he disconnected grid, but it is hot because you backfeed.

That is wrong

Check.

actually a true suicide cord has a male end on both ends,this would be very dagerous,

A UL-1741 or UL-1741-SA grid-tie inverter would only output power when grid is present. So that is safe for the lineman and, although maybe not code-compliant feeding a male plug, I can't see any hazard with that.

Preferred setup would be a larger grid-tie PV system backfeeding the grid.
If you connected a small grid-tie system downstream of the switch that turns on swamp cooler, it would only feed the grid when cooler draws from grid. Sized suitably, it would never backfeed, just reduce power drawn. I would set up two panels in parallel feeding a microinverter, oriented differently. That would flatten production peak.

That’s better. Or this that’s going to shut down if grid is out.
have that one saved in my list

Your 400W 120V 3.3A could step up through transformer to 600V 0.7A, or other depending on transformer.
Lineman expected zero volts because he disconnected grid, but it is hot because you backfeed.

Check.

A UL-1741 or UL-1741-SA grid-tie inverter would only output power when grid is present. So that is safe for the lineman and, although maybe not code-compliant feeding a male plug, I can't see any hazard with that.

If you connected a small grid-tie system downstream of the switch that turns on swamp cooler, it would only feed the grid when cooler draws from grid. Sized suitably, it would never backfeed, just reduce power drawn. I would set up two panels in parallel feeding a microinverter, oriented differently. That would flatten production peak.
as stated here already and above, a grid tie inverter can not backfeed when grid is down, so all this about lineman is useless, doesnt matter,,thats what i was looking for, and what im planning on doing,just enough 120 voltage to outweigh my on peak charge,which is from 3-6 pm,so my off peak lets say is 20cnt kwh,and my on peak is 40 cents,40 cents x3 hours is $1.20, x 30 days is around 32 dollars, thats what im trying to reduce my electric bill by for just the summer months, and not backfeeding anything or the utility seein it backfeeding because i wont follow their rules,and as i have stated, this all happening at after there main panel and meter,all inside my house basiclly as i have a cord from their meter and pedastal to my trailer, i am a sub panel hookup. i want to hook the inverter to my inside panel inmy room through the raceway into panel to a breaker for each phase,120 volt for each phase to help

thanks hedges for getting it, and for all others for commenting also,not trying to argue,but some posts are not pertinent

ive been bit a couple times when checking out systems when i was an installer, didnt vbother me
? except for the vlisp ?

I’ve been bit with 120, 240, and once at Topnotch In Stowe a ?340? commercial convection oven got me. Apparently I lived (I don’t see dead people)

But those are all killer voltages.
I was lucky on the 240 tingle, had a whole bunch of disturbing 120V bites. But I’ll tell you for certain that the 340 or 380 or whatever that was got my attention. I walked around the rest of my shift just shocked that I was alive. It was a very uniquely disturbing feeling to get zapped with that thing. (tagouts with actual padlocks are the only ones worth using btw)

I = V/R

What is your "R"?
"Rainy days and Mondays get me down."

? except for the vlisp ?

I’ve been bit with 120, 240, and once at Topnotch In Stowe a ?340? commercial convection oven got me. Apparently I lived (I don’t see dead people)

But those are all killer voltages.
I was lucky on the 240 tingle, had a whole bunch of disturbing 120V bites. But I’ll tell you for certain that the 340 or 380 or whatever that was got my attention. I walked around the rest of my shift just shocked that I was alive. It was a very uniquely disturbing feeling to get zapped with that thing. (tagouts with actual padlocks are the only ones worth using btw)
yup, i was an electrician also and solar installer, i was working on a stsytem and had the 3 strings disconnected, but the last string where the problem was, i unhooked the pos wire, and had it in my left hand,with gloves, held tight,just on the casing,no bare wire, but it was ghot, and i was swetting, so my thighs,pant where damp,i reached down to get a new mc4 connector and my leg brushed up against the rail,which is grounded, and the bare 1/4 inch wire end that i was going to attach the mc4 cable to accidently brushed my damp leg,pants, talk about a shock, i think it was around 430 to 500 volts, my habnd was already gripped tight on the wire,coating,so it couldnt tighten anymore so i was able to jump and get away from it,but it left a burn mark on my skin and took me about 20 minutes to get my heart back inshape and relaxe, that was a close and sxcarry shock,i ve had plenty of 120 before, and a couple 220,but damn this felt like a defib machine i guess, jeeesh.

in case some of you arnt sure what im talking about, this mico inverter put out 240 volt, it connects under panel,you can see the mc4 connectors, then the ac out cable, my thinking is this a 240 line out would give me lets ay 150 watts on each line, so i could have 150 watts on left phase, and 150 watts on right phase,i am awaiting answer from enphase,this would give me extra power through all breakers,and for only 45 dollars used, plus since the dc run is so short, no loss, just using 120 out on 2 legs, oops, picture not right,lets try again, thats better, the trunk cable, or out cable is only 14 gauge wire, this would be wired to my inside jouse panel, a sub panel,the other way would be to run an extension cord down my halway to the cooler wall out let, which would be before the wall switch,if that make sense, the wall outler has a short extension cord going to the wall switch,then from switch goes out side on another cord to pump and motor

enphase new.jpeg

1654368272004.png

Last edited:
OP, so is this the continuation from this thread?

Check.

ok, what if i connected the ac lines to the bottom of the panel phases,by a 240 breaker, would it be simple to assume that thwe little extra would flowinto the swamp cooler or anything else and boost the current so the appliance uses it most or all be fore it even gets to the main breaker out side on the pedastal, so my current or watts never even make it to the meter, i wonder

OP, so is this the continuation from this thread?
kinda yes, that thread got to long and to many rude and irrelevant omments, read this,read that, dont know what im doing ect, so i gave up on it and i believe i asked will to deelete it, but i have changed a few things and a few pices of the install after i been reading like everybody wanted me too, ect and trying to figure out a better way

may have to forget about all of this, like my ex boss said, if the utility even sees a reverse flow or feedback for a split second, even if the belt just slips on the cooler pulley, for a micro second, the utility will see it and know somethings up, and like he said, techniclly it might work with my feedback being under the load, but for a fine and trouble not worth it, he daid he has a new 19 sear mini split,120 volt, that is brand new, and may use less electricty than my swamp cooler and of course cool bettr that he will give me since he changed his mind and hes not going to use it, and swamp coolers dont work worth a crap when the humudity raises, hes the one ispent 8 years as a solar installer and a licsensed solar contractor, and residential and commercial co. actually the mini split says 63 dollarsa year on the tag, but who knows

Last edited:
Back