diy solar

diy solar

Does the BMS have to be connected to the inverter?

@DrPhil if you can get half way decent price on a rec I would go with @the_colorist configuration idea.
Thanks @smoothJoey

The problem is I've got 32 cells incoming.

If I ditch the concept of doing 2 x 16s, then how do I incorporate all the cells?

My original plan was making 16 sets of 2 with 2 cells at a time in parallel. I've seen Will Prowse do this, I think it actually was when he tested the Overkill.

Then have a 16s battery with each cell actually being 2 cells.

Does that still fall foul of the issues previously mentioned in that article by @the_colorist ?

2p16s with one bms to make 1 battery
as opposed to 16s2p with 2 bmss to make 2 batteries
Gotcha.

That was my original plan. Just wasn't sure if having the sets of 2 parallel within the pack would be a problem.

I really need to go read that article in full though, rather than just asking loads of questions that it most likely answers!

I'll check out that BMS that @the_colorist mentioned too. If there is something that could potentially communicate by Can too it would be ideal.

If you do the 2 separate 16S1P strings with 2 BMS units, then the 2 complete separate batteries need to have their own fuse to the buss bar that feeds the inverter. Keep the cables the same length. I recommend putting the two batteries at the opposite sides of the inverter connection as well. This was you have one battery connection, 30 mm of buss bar, inverter connection, 30 mm of buss bar. This also balances the current and each length of buss bar is only taking half the current. Be sure to fuse each battery at a safe current for the cells, BMS, and the cables. Then put a single fuse from the buss bar to the inverter at less than double the rating of those fuses. With just 2 batteries, they should share quite well, but still derate by at least 20%. For example, 125 amps on battery 1, 125 amps on battery 2, 200 amps to the inverter. If you are pulling 150 amps total, the two strings could see 80 amps and 70 amps. In reality, they will actually balance out. The string supplying more current will discharge a little faster and come down to match the other string, but as the system goes from charging to discharging, they could vary by a bit and take time to reach balance each time to load changes. The closer the cells and the system resistance matches, the less the current will vary between the two strings, but you can never completely eliminate this. On my system, I have seen about a 5 amp difference during an 80 amp test, and it faded down to less than an amp in 15 minutes. Now that my 2 strings have been running in parallel for 8 months, I only check it from time to time, but I rarely see even a 1 amp difference now. But I have to admit, the LG Chevy Bolt cells that I got are incredibly well matched. On more random bulk cells, I would expect to see more deviation.

On LFP cells, this should actually work great in the whole flat voltage area. The only time it might diverge in current is if one string starts to hit the knee before the other. And what SHOULD happen is the string getting close to the knee while charging should reduce it's current and the other string will take more of the current to "catch up". On discharge, the same thing should happen, but in reverse. The low string will hit the knee and the voltage will try to drop, but that will cause the current from those cells to drop, and the string at higher charge will take more of the load current, and again, catch up to the other string. In those cases, the current balance between the two strings could diverge quite a bit. But this only will happen when you run into the knees. For long battery life, you should stay out of the knees anyways.

Thanks for the tip @the_colorist

I contacted Ian at ZEVA today and he replied promptly to confirm that his BMS should have no problem communicating fully with the Solis.

He hasn't had anyone use it with a Solis as yet, but as you said, the BYD and LG batteries use SMA’s CAN protocol, and Pylontech uses their own protocol which is only slightly different from SMA, and his BMS supports either of these.

As the Solis is compatible with BYD, LG & PylonTech, he is confident that the ZEVA will be fully compatible with the Solis.

We may have a winner!

And thanks to everyone for the advice and suggestions. Much appreciated.

If you do the 2 separate 16S1P strings with 2 BMS units, then the 2 complete separate batteries need to have their own fuse to the buss bar that feeds the inverter. Keep the cables the same length. I recommend putting the two batteries at the opposite sides of the inverter connection as well. This was you have one battery connection, 30 mm of buss bar, inverter connection, 30 mm of buss bar. This also balances the current and each length of buss bar is only taking half the current. Be sure to fuse each battery at a safe current for the cells, BMS, and the cables. Then put a single fuse from the buss bar to the inverter at less than double the rating of those fuses. With just 2 batteries, they should share quite well, but still derate by at least 20%. For example, 125 amps on battery 1, 125 amps on battery 2, 200 amps to the inverter. If you are pulling 150 amps total, the two strings could see 80 amps and 70 amps.
Good points.

I contacted Ian at ZEVA today and he replied promptly to confirm that his BMS should have no problem communicating fully with the Solis.
Super. I suspected as much. I should have pinged him to check but you beat me to it.

You can get the BMS with the shunt as I'm sure you saw but you'll need a contactor yet, among other things. One appropriately sized for the system. 100A should be fine. Your Solis is rated at 62.5A charge/discharge. 100A will handle any surges.

BMS comms are essential in EVs because the BMS needs to put the motor in limp mode if the battery is running low. Also, as you mention there are advantages to taper current so the pack can be balanced. EVs often do not charge to 100 percent but when they do it is useful to have some balancing since they are run a lot harder than the typical stationary pack. I run the BMS on my stationary pack with no comms and just a contactor or shut down relay closure as a stop gap measure to protect my pack.

Good points.

Super. I suspected as much. I should have pinged him to check but you beat me to it.

You can get the BMS with the shunt as I'm sure you saw but you'll need a contactor yet, among other things. One appropriately sized for the system. 100A should be fine. Your Solis is rated at 62.5A charge/discharge. 100A will handle any surges.
So I need the BMS, contactor, shunt and possibly the monitor? All in that brings the price up quite a bit. At a rough glance maybe around €450.

I was getting prices around €900 for the REC but you might know a better source than that?

There are 2 reasons to artificially taper the curve at the end. The first one is to settle the chemistry gently so that the cell retains the most amount of capacity for as long as possible. Otherwise, the internal resistance grows over time and the cell capacity diminishes.

That is the exact opposite of what my battery manufacturer has told me.
Who is advising low end of charge current as prolongling LiFePO4 lifespan?

So I need the BMS, contactor, shunt and possibly the monitor? All in that brings the price up quite a bit. At a rough glance maybe around €450.

I was getting prices around €900 for the REC but you might know a better source than that?

The link I gave said $534 for REC, which would be 453 Euro.

At least the model shown. They have a variety of products.

Who is advising low end of charge current as prolongling LiFePO4 lifespan?

These tables, which show charge current tapering off above 90% SoC for room temperature, above 70% SoC as temperature approaches cold and hot limits for charging.

The link I gave said $534 for REC, which would be 453 Euro.

At least the model shown. They have a variety of products.
Depends on whether I need the optional monitor for the ZEVA.

Without the monitor, the BMS with shunt is just €240 including shipping.

I'd have to pay import fees though. The REC would presumably be shipped from Slovenia so I wouldn't face charges as its within the EU.

The charge current of any lithium cell, and even lead acid , does need to taper down as the cells reach their maximum voltage. Th Constant Voltage part of the charge cycle. The question comes in when you have unbalanced cells. With a stand alone BMS like most of us are running, the charger does not know if a single cell is reaching the absorption voltage early. This can happen from a cell just being out of balance, or if it has less capacity. Having the BMS tell the charger to lower overall charge current as a single cell is reaching full will slow the charging of the rest of the cells, but it will prevent damage to the cell that is reaching full charge. With a non connected BMS, there are two things that can happen. In most cases, we run the maximum voltage a little low to keep from hurting any cells, but if the imbalance becomes too great, the BMS will open and shut off all current. The connected system lowering the charge current will allow the balancer to keep the high cell from getting more current. This helps balance the pack and use more of the available capacity.

Charging the last 20% of any battery is going to be much slower. When the pack is in the lower to middle state of charge, the cells can take a lot of current without overheating. This is how a Tesla car can "Super Charge" at 100 KW, but it can only take it up to about 70-80%. And that is with active liquid cooling of the batteries. Once the terminal voltage of any cell reaches the Absorption limit, the current has to start dropping. This can only be done with the BMS talking to the charger.

In the solar storage world, I don't think any of us are trying to charge at anywhere near those rates. I have mine programmed to top off my cells over a span of 6 hours, and I only use 50-60% capacity on a daily cycle. 60% in 6 hours is a 0.1C rate. 36 amps into my 360 AH battery bank. In a power failure, it could get hit a lot harder. If I was using no loads at all in my home, and full sun was hitting all of my panels, and I add the 6 more I want to put up, I would have a theoretical charge power of 6,120 watts. If the battery was discharged all the way down to 42 volts, that would be a charge current of 145 amps into my cells. That is still only 0.4C into 360 AH. That could happen for up to an hour, so yes, the battery will top up fast and the charger will have to curtail the charge current. If a cell is going out of balance, having the BMS able to control the charge current could be helpful. But without the control, the worst case for me would be the BMS turning off and I would have to manually reset the system. If this was for an off grid system, with critical loads, then the connected BMS could become essential, especially if the system might go days without a person there to monitor or reset it.

Thanks to what I have learned on this thread, I have looked into more of the BMS comms data. The update on my Schneider XW-Pro does have a few improvements. I can't find any data on the protocol but in the menu item "Battery Management System Settings" it now has entries for default values if the BMS status is lost, so I assume these values would normally come from the BMS.
Charge voltage limit, Discharge voltage limit, Charge current limit, Discharge current limit.
It then has offset values to calibrate it to the BMS readings, and time delay values for how long before it acts on a change. So it looks like Schneider is working on it. But for now there are only a few "approved" batteries with built in BMS, and no stand alone BMS options. But it looks like Batrium have cloned the data stream of one of the approved solutions.

The way my system is working with the stand alone BMS is completely fine and I am in no hurry to do this, but when it does come time for a new battery bank, I will certainly try to get it connected then. I figure I have at least 5 years on this battery pack, maybe 10 with how light I am running it. When it is time to replace, it may be LFP, LTO or something completely new. That is one reason I chose the XW-Pro, the battery settings are very flexible.

@the_colorist would you recommend getting the optional monitor? It's $215 I think but if the Can communication is going to work OK and the unit comes ready to go, will I need that monitor?

As for contactor, I believe the one they have listed on their site is pretty heavy duty, (800v, 400a). Would I need that, or is something like this sufficient?

My notes with regards to current tapering are in line with a CC-only charge cycle with a balance phase (as short a CV as possible) and switch to a float. I can, however, see I didn't fully explain my point and I didn't word it correctly. Thanks @toms for pointing that out. Plus on my side, we've changed our parameters/targets over time and become a little more detailed about things as more lab testing has been done/published. Even different than some parameters/targets I have mentioned in the past.

The charge current of any lithium cell, and even lead acid , does need to taper down as the cells reach their maximum voltage. Th Constant Voltage part of the charge cycle.
This is what is interesting and can also be confusing to some people. I'm not meaning this towards you @GXMnow in any way, just commenting in general. Once we reach the voltage target, let's say 3.45VPC, and we hold that current, the current will begin to taper off until the charge termination parameters are met. This is very true! CC-CV charging.

However, by nature of the low IR of the cells and the low capacity of most balancing circuits, the current can at times still be too high for the balancer IMHO. This is not always the case if, for example, you're already charging at an extremely low current. The real key here though is that charge termination at target voltage will increase the usable capacity over the lifespan of the cells, hence the reason to taper charging to the absolute minimum while to balancing to termination. The longer one holds at the target voltage and continues with the constant voltage stage, the larger the solid electrolyte interphase (SEI) grows, thereby reducing the usable capacity of the cell.

Having high current balancers is extremely useful here because it helps to reduce the balancing time, thereby reducing the amount of time the cell is held at the target voltage.

Here are a few comments from a whitepaper discussing capacity degradation with PHEV and EV applications:

Source: Model-Based SEI Layer Growth and Capacity Fade Analysis for EV and PHEV Batteries and Drive Cycles

"Passive SEI layer growth is a major contributor to capacity fade in Li-ion batteries used for EV and PHEV applications. The majority of SEI layer growth will occur during charging. While fast charging creates undesired stress and temperature affects among other degradation problems, it will limit the amount of direct SEI layer growth in comparison to slow rates. Additionally, CC-CV charging will increase the amount of charge stored within a battery for a single cycle, but over the entire cycle life of the battery will decrease the total amount of usable energy from the battery for drive cycle cases."

1616870595977.png

Note that C2 results in the lowest SEI growth.

"Most charging applications apply a constant current charge followed by a constant voltage charge (CC-CV). While this protocol maximizes the amount of charge stored for a single cycle, the CV portion of charging greatly increases the charging time while adding stored charge at a diminishing rate. The increased charging time will lead to increased SEI growth. CV charging only occurs during the end of the charging cycle and at high levels of SOC. Figure 1 (above) shows that during the CV portion of charging the rate of SEI growth with respect to charge stored increases for all cases. Previous experimental studies have shown that increasing the portion of CV charging can lead to increased capacity fade. In cases where an EV owner is willing to forego the additional charge stored from CV charging (less than 10% in most cases), they will see a benefit over the life of the battery by reducing the SEI growth. Other degradation effects may negate the benefit of CC only charging."

So in many ways, switching to a float at the end of a CC cycle works well for retaining capacity. Hence my thoughts on reducing charging current during balancing to just enough to balance and then switching to a float, using a shunt to help ensure zero current flow into the batteries during float.

With a BMS without communication, here is what can happen with slightly mismatched cells. I'm NOT saying it does happen, I'm just saying IMHO we want to avoid it.

When we reach 55.2V in a 16S bank (3.45VPC target for example), we could begin constant voltage and the current will being to taper, if a person is using CC-CV. However, when we reach 55.2V, there is simply no way of knowing if all cells are at 3.45V or if any of them have exceeded 3.45V while yet being under the trip limit which is likely farther up into the curve (3.65V etc). Beyond that, most have a hysteresis beyond the trip limit (3.65V etc) so they don't trip in a passing spike. This is where it gets tricky IMHO.

IMHO we do not want to ever exceed 3.45V or whatever the target voltage may be. Essentially stay out of the curve as much as we can. We don't want cells exceeding the target and then waiting to come down while the balancer balances. We want to instead reduce current dynamically to a place where no single cell ever exceeds the target, keeping the incoming current low enough to allow the balancer to do its work.

One of the reasons for this to prevent the expansion of the cell as much as possible which can reduce the thickness of the SEI barrier and allow electrons to tunnel through the SEI barrier, breaking down the electrolyte. Expansion grows with the increase in cell voltage and SOC. This is where cell compression helps to reduce cell capacity reduction by reducing the amount of physical expansion.

@the_colorist would you recommend getting the optional monitor? It's $215 I think but if the Can communication is going to work OK and the unit comes ready to go, will I need that monitor?

As for contactor, I believe the one they have listed on their site is pretty heavy duty, (800v, 400a). Would I need that, or is something like this sufficient?
I would recommend it. It's great for adjusting settings as time moves forward and perhaps we learn more about how to prevent cell capacity degradation. It's also the only way to see cell voltages. There isn't an app or wireless access.

I wouldn't recommend that style or model of contactor. I've heard too many bad things about those. I would look for a Gigavac ora TE/Sensata Kilovac. 100A is still good. I personally use 400A models from DC-Contactor.com. This one specifically.

I order factory direct but they maybe have them on aliexpress?

Here is one I found on a quick look:

Not the same brand and it's 500A. But that store looks like they may have others.

I would recommend it. It's great for adjusting settings as time moves forward and perhaps we learn more about how to prevent cell capacity degradation. It's also the only way to see cell voltages. There isn't an app or wireless access.

I wouldn't recommend that style or model of contactor. I've heard too many bad things about those. I would look for a Gigavac ora TE/Sensata Kilovac. 100A is still good. I personally use 400A models from DC-Contactor.com. This one specifically.

I order factory direct but they maybe have them on aliexpress?

Here is one I found on a quick look:

Not the same brand and it's 500A. But that store looks like they may have others.
Thanks again @the_colorist

I'll probably hear back from Ian at ZEVA next week so I'll probably get something decided then.

Would you have an estimate on the price I'd pay for a suitable REC unit? As you say there seems to be a big variation on prices online.

The ZEVA is €220, add in the monitor and a contactor and its up to around €390. With shipping and customs duty it comes up to maybe €500.

With the REC shipping from Slovenia rather than Australia I would probably pay less for shipping and I wouldn't have customs as its all within the EU.

Would you have an estimate on the price I'd pay for a suitable REC unit?
I try not to have a lot of markup but if I were sourcing the unit for a client, based on the last pricing I got, I would be able to sell the SI BMS unit for €345 before accessories.

When it comes to accessories, I don't recommend the screen but I recommend the WiFi module. It's much more useful and only €20 difference. I also recommend the precharge unit for any and all installations where possible.

Wi-Fi module €160
LCD touch display €140
Additional temperature sensor for BMS (max. 3 sensors per unit) €6.5
Precharge unit (2-11s delay @ 11-68V) €35
PC Software BMS Master Control with PC connection cable RS-485 to USB €60
Cable CAN (DB9 to RJ45) (length = 2m) €6.5

You would still need:
1. 50mV Shunt (Best sourced elsewhere. They are expensive from them.)
2. Contactor
3. Fusing etc

Back