diy solar

diy solar

Does the inverter I need even exist? Help!

neobeavis

I hope someone can help as I've been struggling to find an inverter that will do everything I need. Here is the list:

1. AC coupled - I have 46 LG 355W panels on 46 Enphase IQ7+ microinverters
2. UL compliant as I need to be Grid-tied (input and output)
3. Want to be able to feedback to the grid - one for monthly credits and two for not wasting potential energy (do my part to save the planet)
4. Want to run a whole house backup (not just essential loads) - I have two 5-ton A/C units and a pool pump. I want to control it if I lose power. If I lose it in the winter I want to make sure my pool is running but wouldn't run the A/C's. If I lose power in the summer, I want my A/C's but I can keep the pool off.
5. Will be connecting to 51.2 kW in 48V batteries.
6. Use my batteries first every night, then only go the grid if batteries get to like 20%. Then during the day, recharge the batteries first, then send any excess to the grid. My electric company only gives me net metering per month. So most of the year, I produce more than I use, but I get zeroed out each month. Here in the summer when I'm using extra with both A/C's running, I prefer to be using my own power at night from my batteries instead.
7. Most likely need inverters than can be run in parallel to handle up to 200A (house breaker), 60A max at 240V (A/C units breaker size). I would rather be a bit overkill than under.
8. Not stupid expensive or the return on investment (ROI) makes no sense

So in my research, I have found some close, but they are always missing something.

1. MPP Solar LV6548 - won't feedback to the grid
2. MPP Solar LVX6048 - not UL compliant (will feedback to the grid but not allowed to)
3. Schneider XW Pro - supposedly can, but I can't get any support to even ask, so too risky to buy and can't find any installers willing to deal with them
4. Sol-Ark - supposedly can, but stupid expensive...3 of these units is $18K range compared to 4 MPP Solars in the $5K range. Can't justify that ROI.
5. Outback Radians - According to Outback themselves, they said no as I would need 6 units to handle the output
6. SMA/Schneider/Outback - all quite a bit more expensive than MPP Solar
7. Other brands I've looked at that either don't do AC Coupling or are not UL compliant or I can't get a response from to find out include:
Renogy, Sungoldpower, Sigineer, Growatt, Vevor, Tripp-Lite, Phocos, Solar Edge, Fronius, Delta, Victron, Generac

I thought I was there with the MPP Solar LV6548 so I ordered my 51.2 kW batteries only to find out that it won't feedback to the grid. I jumped the gun and now I'm a bit more desperate to find a solution. Please help if you can! There has to be others in my same situation. Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forums!

Enphase's Ensemble or Tesla's PowerWall should meet all your needs (not AC coupled, but no need for it to get battery backup). The downside with that solution is you have to use their battery which drives up the cost, the upside is both are UL listed.

There are also two near-future DIY possibilities I know of:
  1. The IQ8s are coming out end of the year and you might be able to DIY them.
  2. The Enswitch (a part of Ensemble) is supporting a generator hookup this fall, looks like you could DIY a battery/inverter into it rather than a gas generator.
Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums!

Enphase's Ensemble or Tesla's PowerWall should meet all your needs (not AC coupled, but no need for it to get battery backup). The downside with that solution is you have to use their battery which drives up the cost, the upside is both are UL listed.

There are also two near-future DIY possibilities I know of:
  1. The IQ8s are coming out end of the year and you might be able to DIY them.
  2. The Enswitch (a part of Ensemble) is supporting a generator hookup this fall, looks like you could DIY a battery/inverter into it rather than a gas generator.
Hope that helps!
Obviously I want to use the batteries that I've purchased already as they are much more cost effective than Tesla's or Enphase's. Also I need the AC coupled either way to get the power from my 46 microinverters into the batteries or am I missing something?

I hope someone can help as I've been struggling to find an inverter that will do everything I need. Here is the list:

1. AC coupled - I have 46 LG 355W panels on 46 Enphase IQ7+ microinverters
2. UL compliant as I need to be Grid-tied (input and output)
3. Want to be able to feedback to the grid - one for monthly credits and two for not wasting potential energy (do my part to save the planet)
4. Want to run a whole house backup (not just essential loads) - I have two 5-ton A/C units and a pool pump. I want to control it if I lose power. If I lose it in the winter I want to make sure my pool is running but wouldn't run the A/C's. If I lose power in the summer, I want my A/C's but I can keep the pool off.
5. Will be connecting to 51.2 kW in 48V batteries.
6. Use my batteries first every night, then only go the grid if batteries get to like 20%. Then during the day, recharge the batteries first, then send any excess to the grid. My electric company only gives me net metering per month. So most of the year, I produce more than I use, but I get zeroed out each month. Here in the summer when I'm using extra with both A/C's running, I prefer to be using my own power at night from my batteries instead.
7. Most likely need inverters than can be run in parallel to handle up to 200A (house breaker), 60A max at 240V (A/C units breaker size). I would rather be a bit overkill than under.
8. Not stupid expensive or the return on investment (ROI) makes no sense

So in my research, I have found some close, but they are always missing something.

1. MPP Solar LV6548 - won't feedback to the grid
2. MPP Solar LVX6048 - not UL compliant (will feedback to the grid but not allowed to)
3. Schneider XW Pro - supposedly can, but I can't get any support to even ask, so too risky to buy and can't find any installers willing to deal with them
4. Sol-Ark - supposedly can, but stupid expensive...3 of these units is $18K range compared to 4 MPP Solars in the $5K range. Can't justify that ROI.
5. Outback Radians - According to Outback themselves, they said no as I would need 6 units to handle the output
6. SMA/Schneider/Outback - all quite a bit more expensive than MPP Solar
7. Other brands I've looked at that either don't do AC Coupling or are not UL compliant or I can't get a response from to find out include:
Renogy, Sungoldpower, Sigineer, Growatt, Vevor, Tripp-Lite, Phocos, Solar Edge, Fronius, Delta, Victron, Generac

I thought I was there with the MPP Solar LV6548 so I ordered my 51.2 kW batteries only to find out that it won't feedback to the grid. I jumped the gun and now I'm a bit more desperate to find a solution. Please help if you can! There has to be others in my same situation. Thanks in advance!
The up coming LVX6048WP is listed as UL compliant and grid tie capable.

The up coming LVX6048WP is listed as UL compliant and grid tie capable.
I have two SMA SunnyBoys grid tied in the new home I just bought. I just cancelled the contract, as I am going to install 4 x 280ah 16s banks to two LVX8048WP inverters, and just use the grid as backup power. I also have two AC units and 2hp Haywood pool pump for a 50,000 gallon 12 foot deep pool. The existing 9KW of SMA (one 3K and one 6K) are currently handling the load just fine right now, which is amazing, as they were installed in 2008. I must say, I am VERY impressed with the quality and reliability of the SMA inverters.
I was going to go Sunny Island, but two of them only provide around 11K of actual continuous power, they are complicated compared to MPP, and they are 4x the cost of the MPP inverters, which would provide 16KW at 1/4 the price of 11KW.

I am using two LV6548's at my current home, and they have been working great so far.

Attachments

• 20210724_095625.jpg
    20210724_095625.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210724_095633.jpg
    20210724_095633.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 12
I have two SMA SunnyBoys grid tied in the new home I just bought. I just cancelled the contract, as I am going to install 4 x 280ah 16s banks to two LVX8048WP inverters, and just use the grid as backup power. I also have two AC units and 2hp Haywood pool pump for a 50,000 gallon 12 foot deep pool. The existing 9KW of SMA (one 3K and one 6K) are currently handling the load just fine right now, which is amazing, as they were installed in 2008. I must say, I am VERY impressed with the quality and reliability of the SMA inverters.
I was going to go Sunny Island, but two of them only provide around 11K of actual continuous power, they are complicated compared to MPP, and they are 4x the cost of the MPP inverters, which would provide 16KW at 1/4 the price of 11KW.

I am using two LV6548's at my current home, and they have been working great so far.
I've only seen the LVX6048WP mentioned. Is there an 8kW version coming too?

Why not use Victron Multiplus 2 in a microgrid set up?

They are ac coupled and can feedback to the grid but can also provide the AC to keep your micro inverts going in a grid down situation although you may want to see if you can broaden the acceptable frequency range in your micro inverters (I have no idea if that is possible on your units) . You may need an antiislanding device if your regulations and draw requires it.

Back