diy solar

diy solar

Does the SPF Growatt 5000 ES Really work the way it's advertises

Jim Lee

Is Anyone currently using 1 or more SPF Growatt 5000 ES, or know anyone (that can be contacted for comments) that is already using this system that works the way it is advertised to work? What I mean is, it is connected to their house and it powers the complete house with just PV power during a sunny day and charges batteries so the batteries can assist powering the house during the day and at night and if at any time the PV and batteries cannot produce enough power the Growatt will "PAIR with the Utility to power the load". This system would not use a net meter and never feed back to the Grid. This is a "DIY SOLAR POWER FORUM". Isn't the purpose of this Forum to Trouble shoot Ideas and plans BEFORE We build the system so we don't have to troubleshoot, change out or replace parts after they are purchased, implemented and don't work. Attached is a set of plans (NOT VERIFIED YET) that anyone can use if they want to that we as a group can decide if it should work or make changes such as Wire sizes, fuses, breakers, or whatever is necessary to help insure it will work. Hopefully we can get to a final draft that we are comfortable will work. I plan to build it (I've started the Ground mount already) and we can come up with a plan that anyone can use with a lot of DIY ingenuity and not be a professional Engineer or Electrician.

Attachments

• 20211208_171339.jpg
    20211208_171339.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 92
  • 20211208_160746.jpg
    20211208_160746.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 100
I'd like to know if it will load share with the utility as well. I would also like to know if if the Growatt 5000ES has back-feeding protection built in if it is connected to the grid when the grid goes down. I don't want to install expensive electrical hardware to isolate from grid down if I don't need to.
The SPF Growatt 5000 ES in an Off grid inverter that can not back feed to the grid and I have come to the conclusion that YES it can pair with the grid. Go to this link and he shows a very short and simple example of it doing just that. No Battery Solar Power System. Growatt Inverter SPF 5000 ES Off Grid Solar.

How does it prevent back-feeding the grid in grid down when it is in load-share mode and the input is connected to the grid? Has anyone simulated this and checked for voltage on the inverter 240 input line? I can't find anything in the manual.
I was told by people smarter than me that as an off grid inverter it can not feed back into the grid when grid is up or down. I haven't put much thought into it because I have a Generac 22Kw whole house backup natural gas generator that I've had for 6 years that has a 200Amp Transfer Switch. When the grid goes down the TS completely physically disconnects from the grid. That's the best I can do to answer your question.

Is Anyone currently using 1 or more SPF Growatt 5000 ES, or know anyone (that can be contacted for comments) that is already using this system that works the way it is advertised to work? What I mean is, it is connected to their house and it powers the complete house with just PV power during a sunny day and charges batteries so the batteries can assist powering the house during the day and at night and if at any time the PV and batteries cannot produce enough power the Growatt will "PAIR with the Utility to power the load". This system would not use a net meter and never feed back to the Grid. This is a "DIY SOLAR POWER FORUM". Isn't the purpose of this Forum to Trouble shoot Ideas and plans BEFORE We build the system so we don't have to troubleshoot, change out or replace parts after they are purchased, implemented and don't work. Attached is a set of plans (NOT VERIFIED YET) that anyone can use if they want to that we as a group can decide if it should work or make changes such as Wire sizes, fuses, breakers, or whatever is necessary to help insure it will work. Hopefully we can get to a final draft that we are comfortable will work. I plan to build it (I've started the Ground mount already) and we can come up with a plan that anyone can use with a lot of DIY ingenuity and not be a professional Engineer or Electrician.
I have 1 set up that works great , I just ordered another 1. PM me and i will be glad to tell you what I know.

How does it prevent back-feeding the grid in grid down when it is in load-share mode and the input is connected to the grid? Has anyone simulated this and checked for voltage on the inverter 240 input line? I can't find anything in the manual.

Simple. It doesn't allow negative amps at AC-in in both cases.

The only fundamental differences between this and other off-grid inverters is:
1) battery-less operation
2) A power-assist feature that few inverters have (Victron does).

I guess nobody reads this thread. I was interested how the Growatt can load-share with the utility feed and the AC grid input is physically isolated from the grid when the input is 0 volts from the grid.
I can not answer you with absolute certainty. But I believe in the very least electricity flows to the path of least resistance and the inverter will produce only what it can to offset the load. That's if the sharing of a load happens. If the load shuts off the inverter Mosfett will click off. I have 2 of them but haven't set them up yet

It works perfect for me i have 2 of them 5000es . i havent touched them in months they just work.

See thus YT post on grounding issues with 5000es and the SolarEdge mid-point transformer.

yes I run 10kVA house with 2 spf5000es and 20kWh Lifepo4 and generate up to 50kWh with load management , zero injection too much administration

Back