Does this indicate a bad cell?

Nillerk

Solar Enthusiast
Hi folks,

I just built my first pack with CATL 310AH cells. I first top balanced them in parallel. I then connected them to the BMS and drained them. I then charged them with the BMS connected and when done, all the cells were at the same level. Overnight they have changed quite a bit especially the 1 cell. Does this indicate a bad cell?
IMG_0377.PNG

snoobler

Solar Honey Badger
If those are voltage from resting overnight, they are very suspicious.

Confirm BMS reported cell voltages on a separate voltmeter.

Confirm all connections are secure.

Nillerk

Solar Enthusiast
If those are voltage from resting overnight, they are very suspicious.

Confirm BMS reported cell voltages on a separate voltmeter.

Confirm all connections are secure.
I confirmed the voltages and the connections.
I think the other 3 cells are a bit off because they are trying to balance cell 4.

snoobler

Solar Honey Badger
I confirmed the voltages and the connections.
I think the other 3 cells are a bit off because they are trying to balance cell 4.

Doesn't work like that. Balancing works by bleeding off excess voltage/charge as heat. It does not move juice from one to another unless the BMS has active balancing - most don't.

I'm disturbed how you have cells that were presumably charged to 3.65V are still sitting at 3.6XV after sitting overnight.

To maintain a top balance, balancing needs to be configured to occur during charge only, 30mV difference and at or above 3.40V. If you leave balancing active all the time, it will undo a top balance.

Nillerk

Solar Enthusiast
Doesn't work like that. Balancing works by bleeding off excess voltage/charge as heat. It does not move juice from one to another unless the BMS has active balancing - most don't.

I'm disturbed how you have cells that were presumably charged to 3.65V are still sitting at 3.6XV after sitting overnight.

To maintain a top balance, balancing needs to be configured to occur during charge only, 30mV difference and at or above 3.40V. If you leave balancing active all the time, it will undo a top balance.
I had balancing set to always. So I have adjusted that.
Would you be able to help me confirm the rest of my settings?
Also, what voltage should they settle to and how long should it take?

IMG_0378.PNG
IMG_0379.PNG

snoobler

Solar Honey Badger
Looks good.

Many choose to put the charge under temp around 3°C with a release of 5°C.