diy solar

diy solar

Does this setup look correct?

SunnyDBoy

Hi everyone!

I'm getting closer to building out my solar array and wanted to run this by y'all. My local utility charges very high monthly peak demand fees, and many people around me get around that by having peak demand limiters. I personally don't see the point, since my house has gas and electric and only has one AC unit. Other than a couple appliances which I can control by changing habits, I think the demand limiter would only be shutting off my central AC unit, right? That's another thing I could effectively control for less than the $3k price tag that demand limiters have. So why not put that money to good use and get a battery bank!

I've been crunching a lot of numbers and feel like having a 10kw solar array with a 20kwh battery bank would give me the best all-around solution: great output during the earlier peak hours (they'll all be west facing, my roof's only choice) with a battery bank to supplement the deficit as I approach the 8pm peak usage cutoff. This will easily cover me during winter and give me enough on most summer days.

I've also been reading that supposedly, if a battery bank is exclusively recharged by solar, it'll qualify for the 26% federal tax credit! I'll talk to my CPA about it soon, but wanted to see if any of you had tried that?

With that in mind, here's the system that I want to build out. My guess is I'll have to split the 10kwh solar array into two 5kwh arrays, run them into 5kwh hybrid MPPT inverters, and have each inverter charge their own 10kwh battery bank. That's the part I'm unsure of though, would it work having two battery banks or should I just connect the whole 20kwh bank into one of the inverters?

Any thoughts or advice on how to do this would be great, thanks!

Here's the equipment I'm thinking about using for reference:

Solar Panels: 32x CSUN 310W 60 Cell Black on Black Mono Solar Panels
Hybrid Inverters: 2x MPP Solar Hybrid 5000w 230v 48vdc Solar inverter high PV input 450vdc
Battery Bank: 4x 48V 100AH LiFePo4 5.12kWH GYLL Solar Battery

Attachments

• solar setup.png
    solar setup.png
    115.1 KB · Views: 9
Back