diy solar

diy solar

Does this setup sound correct?

John91

If I need 4.8 kw to power my home on average would following setup sound correct and what else would I need?

1-Growatt 48V 6000T 6kW Split Phase 120V/240V output (50A at 120V ,25A at 240V) 1300.00USD​

2-4 of these: 12V 200Ah Lithium Iron LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery, Built-in 100A BMS, 2000+ Cycles, 280amp Max, Perfect for RV, Solar, Marine, Overland, Off-Grid Application;
850.00USD EACH TOTAL 3,400.00 USD

3-2 of these: Trina 400W mono solar panels. They are 144 half cell panels. Total with shipping 620.00USD

WHAT ELSE IS NEEDED AND AM I ON THE RIGHT TRACK?

If I need 4.8 kw to power my home on average would following setup sound correct and what else would I need?
I assume you mean 4.8 kwh, confirm?
What is your peak load in kw?

1-Growatt 48V 6000T 6kW Split Phase 120V/240V output (50A at 120V ,25A at 240V) 1300.00USD​

Do you need split phase?
2-4 of these: 12V 200Ah Lithium Iron LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery, Built-in 100A BMS, 2000+ Cycles, 280amp Max, Perfect for RV, Solar, Marine, Overland, Off-Grid Application;
850.00USD EACH TOTAL 3,400.00 USD
You would need 4 to make 48 volts.
That would give you 10240 watt hours.
8192 usable watt hours or less than 2 days of autonomy.
3-2 of these: Trina 400W mono solar panels. They are 144 half cell panels. Total with shipping 620.00USD
With 3 panels, it would take ~7 hours of full sun to charge your battery.
Is this realistic for your neck of the woods?

Confirm on kwh
What’s split phase I’m guessing I don’t need it
Yes 4 at 850 a piece 3400. Less than two days autonomy but looking to use everyday not as back so is this no good?
Not 3 panels that number 3. Two 400w panels. Is that enough

Confirm on kwh
Yes 4 at 850 a piece 3400. Less than two days autonomy but looking to use everyday not as back so is this no good?
Not 3 panels that number 3. Two 400w panels. Is that enough. Attached are my basic needs. The calculator if you will. My calculated usage needed

Attachments

• Safari - Mar 27, 2021 at 3:13 PM.pdf
    6.9 MB · Views: 8
Screenshot maybe better

Attachments

• D2F837B2-9AA1-4480-A1F7-DF223C26A195.png
    D2F837B2-9AA1-4480-A1F7-DF223C26A195.png
    211.7 KB · Views: 10
Confirm on kwh
single phase is 120VAC@60hz
split phase is 120/240VAC@60hz
Its ok as long as it meets your needds.
Not 3 panels that number 3. Two 400w panels. Is that enough
8192 watt hours / 800 watts = 10.24 hours.
Sorry, I'm not going to look through the links you have provided.

Started off with 48v 200ah and it's not enough - very small for the growatt 6000T, have since added 3 Gyll 48v 100ah Batteries and all is well, see diagram, only running Garage/Pool room with Pc, Mini split heat pump a/c, tv radio, and lights. Can go 2 days without sun and normally draw between 6 to 25a off batteries, have 6 395w Jinko panels on one string and 8 167w Sharp panels on another string, Joe
1616899543069.png

My opinion - If you started out with four of the 400 watt panels, you would probably eventually end up adding a couple more. Projecting how much power your panels will produce in real life is tricky at best, but only 800 watts of panels to keep 800 amps of batteries charged when they're feeding a 6Kw inverter is for sure on the optimistic side. Start with 4 panels . . . . and add a couple more as necessary. Buy a charge controller that can handle 6 panels

Don

My opinion - If you started out with four of the 400 watt panels, you would probably eventually end up adding a couple more. Projecting how much power your panels will produce in real life is tricky at best, but only 800 watts of panels to keep 800 amps of batteries charged when they're feeding a 6Kw inverter is for sure on the optimistic side. Start with 4 panels . . . . and add a couple more as necessary. Buy a charge controller that can handle 6 panels

Don
Thanks Don they are 400wx4 so its a total of 1600w is that still too lite?

Sometimes it feels like I'm just getting more and more confused the more I learn. Maybe I'm just an idiot but I'm trying to learn its a new complicated field of study and my strong suite is with animals. I know dogs and cats and Im very good with that subject but these things, anyway I never give up on anything so I'll keep reading and asking stupid questions no matter how dumb they are.

Sometimes it feels like I'm just getting more and more confused the more I learn. Maybe I'm just an idiot but I'm trying to learn its a new complicated field of study and my strong suite is with animals. I know dogs and cats and Im very good with that subject but these things, anyway I never give up on anything so I'll keep reading and asking stupid questions no matter how dumb they are.
Suggest you don't buy anything until you've got a handle on things.

400wx4 so its a total of 1600w is that still too little?
1600 watts is max output on a super sunny day with optimal conditions (in other words in a laboratory). I would figure 80% of that to be safe. Figure out how many hours of sun you get on average, and multiply it by ~1300w and you should have a good idea of how much power you will generate each day. So figure if you get 3 hours of sun you will make about 4kw of power each day. If you are using 4.8kw of power, you will never catch up as your panels make less power than your usage. On the other hand if you get 5 hours of sun per day, you will be making 6.5kw of power and will have no issues assuming you get sun every day.

It's not easy to figure this stuff out, because you basically need to plan for events you cannot predict.

Starting a bunch of new threads about the same question is gonna be unproductive and confusing.

If you have reliable and cheap grid power but think you are going to save money on your bill with a non grid tie solar system that has expensive batteries you are going to be disappointed.

Forbisher has a great point; it's best to start at the beginning and work towards the end. Keep the questions in this single thread so people can chime in when they can. Start with your long range goals; are you trying to be totally "off grid"?

Forbisher has a great point; it's best to start at the beginning and work towards the end. Keep the questions in this single thread so people can chime in when they can. Start with your long range goals; are you trying to be totally "off grid"?
I’ll be quick as possible. I’m an idiot I live alone with my pets in a 1300 sqft house in San Diego California. I can build stuff I can put together things I have some tools that part is not the problem it’s the part using your brain that’s the problem for me.
I really don’t use much of my house except for the heater and air conditioner in the summer and tv at night.
All I’m trying to do is reduce my monthly bill and still be able to heat up my house or cool it down. If I could be off the grid that be great but I don’t think I can afford that option. Plus I have no idea how to do the permits and all the other stuff regarding paperwork I tried understand what I read and saw I can’t.
Could you please help me figure out what to buy from wherever and maybe help me understand how to install again I can do the laborious stuff building and putting together stuff no problem but with electrical and technical I’m not good at.
I already bought a Trina 275 W solar panel which is on his way and can’t be canceled because I have to pay for shipping back Which will basically cost the same as the panel. And I have 20ft solar cables and a outlet smart thing which I could send back but it’s not that big of a cost so I’ll keep that if I have to, apparently it shows you your usage.
I would say my budget is 1-3000 max. Would rather it be max of 1400
Thank you for any help I can get. If you have a real plan for me please email it if you could I much appreciate it.

That's the thread then I would depend on and wait until you have it all figured out before you start marking other orders. There's a ton of smart folks around here that learned it the hard way just like you're going to do. Yes, some of the terminology sounds foreign....but only until you learn the verbiage. Keep reading. You'll get there.

Back