diy solar

diy solar

Does this Smart Home Power Switch exist?

Sbrown02

Hi Everyone,

I’ve search online but can’t find what I’m looking for so am hoping someone here can point me in the right direction. Here’s my situation. I have a Ecoflow Delta 2 Power Station with solar panels to use to as backup power for some home appliances (fridge/freezers). I’m looking for a Smart AC Power Switch that can be plugged into 2 power sources, so Input A would plug into home AC power and Input B into the Delta 2. The switch would be smart home capable so it would have an App with the ability to designate one Input as Primary and the other as Secondary. So for example the Primary could be set to pull power from the Home/Grid or from the Delta 2. When the primary power fails it would auto switch to the secondary power. Ideally the app would have the ability to set notifications, alarms, etc.

Here’s a PDF diagram of what I’m looking for, does it exist and if so where or from whom?

Thanks In advance for everyone’s help.

Attachments

• SNB smart switch design.pdf
    285.3 KB · Views: 16
My victron inverter manual has the following paragraph (see below), I don't know anything about "Filax". I also noticed this thing on Amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F12RDZ2/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=AM2ATWLFGFUBV&psc=1 ), again don't know anything about it. If you ask me (electrical engineer), it is very easy to switch a load between two DC sources, however switching a load between two AC sources isn't easy because the two AC sources need to be in synchronization so the load doesn't see the transfer, unless one doesn't care what happens to the AC voltage during the transfer.

To transfer the load to another AC source:
For our low power inverters, we recommend our Filax Automatic Transfer Switch. The Filax features
a very short switchover time (less than 20 milliseconds) so that computers and other electronic
equipment will continue to operate without disruption.

LOL. That's called a simple double throw normally open relay with the coil energized by the grid. When the grid goes down, the coil denergizes, which closes the contacts on the other side and allows your other power source to pass through.

As for some kind of wifi notification that pushes a message to you, I think one of those raspberry pi's could probably do that.

You also might want to consider incorporating a delay timer (like 5 seconds) to stop any rapid cycling if the grid does something funky.

My victron inverter manual has the following paragraph (see below), I don't know anything about "Filax". I also noticed this thing on Amazon ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F12RDZ2/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=AM2ATWLFGFUBV&psc=1 ), again don't know anything about it. If you ask me (electrical engineer), it is very easy to switch a load between two DC sources, however switching a load between two AC sources isn't easy because the two AC sources need to be in synchronization so the load doesn't see the transfer, unless one doesn't care what happens to the AC voltage during the transfer.

To transfer the load to another AC source:
For our low power inverters, we recommend our Filax Automatic Transfer Switch. The Filax features
a very short switchover time (less than 20 milliseconds) so that computers and other electronic
equipment will continue to operate without disruption.
Thanks for the quick reply. That FIlax 2 device appears to do what I want without the Wi-Fi/Smart Home components, although it‘s more than I’d like to spend at $350. I’ll keep looking in hopes something help surfaces. At least I know there is a non-smart option to consider.

Does anyone make a device that is capable of sending a wifi push notification when a set of contacts makes or breaks?

Dang, I would have thought that with all those little Chinese gadgets on ebay, there would be one, but I can't find it.

Back