diy solar

diy solar

Dokio folding panel voltage for rv coach battery

azb

I'm converting a van to a weekender camper and currently have a 120ah agm battery being charged by the vehicle's alternator through a Renogy DCC50s, which can combine (or switch) charging between solar and alternator depending on conditions.

I purchased a portable folding 220w panel from Amazon manufactured by Dokio. When I hook it up to the Renogy charge controller, the controller does not recognize any input from the solar panel. Reading the Renogy manual, it states that it will not charge from solar below 15v. The Dokio is a 12v panel, and testing the panel in full midday sun, it flutuates between 13.8 and 14.6. Seems like most people report more like 18-22v from 12v panels at the source. Dokio states thier panel puts out 13.8v. The cheap charge controller included with the panel also reports 13.8 to 14.6v in the same conditions.

I'm assuming I need to return this panel, but wanted to check with more knowledgable people to make sure I'm not missing something. And if this panel is crap, can anyone recommend a folding portable panel that would output enough voltage? TIA!

I have looked at the Dokio folding panels before and would avoid them for regular use in your application. You would be much happier in the end with building or buying a glass foldable panel- the flex panels simply do not last but a year or two. I tested 7 different flex panels from 4 different manufacturers and non of them maintained their output above 40% rated power after just a year of use. Normal panel output for a 36 cell panel should be about 20-22 volts and all the glass panels in our tests continue to function normally with an average day continuous power output of 70% or better of their rated power

Last edited:
Reactions: azb
Good to know. Do you have any recommendations for something relatively lightweight for a portable setup? I dont want to put panels on top of the van so I have to deal with packing, unpacking and setting up. Standard solar panels are harder to pack as they are heavy and bulky. Would it be better to get one higher output panel or a couple 100w panels? I'm leaning towards one higher output panel for easier handling.

Any opinions are welcome as I'm obviously new at this.

The newer ETFE flexible panels, while not able to fold, are lightweight, and the ETFE material is much more durable than the prior coating.

Has a 5 year manufacturing and defect warranty - which is about as long as you can hope they'll last. They'll last longer if you don't affix them to something hot.

I wrangled 330W panels in and out of an RV/shipping container with every setup/tear-down, and it was pretty brutal, so if you go larger than 100W, really consider what it would mean to stow, setup and tear-down each time.

Recent post of a member who made their own frame:

I'm looking at this one:

At 45lbs it's getting close to the point of not being portable, ;) but since I'm wrangling 2 400-500lb motorcycles out at the same time, I'll just eat more wheaties and do it.

There's just no point in panels on my roof as I'm almost always boondocking and generally try to park in the shade. And it's very green around here... hard to find open fields sometimes. The (semi) portable panels allow me to put them where they'll work the best.

Thanks for the feedback!

I wasn't suggesting mounted panels. Your approach is often the most sensible... use shade and deploy solar... :)

I'm looking at this one:

At 45lbs it's getting close to the point of not being portable, ;) but since I'm wrangling 2 400-500lb motorcycles out at the same time, I'll just eat more wheaties and do it.

There's just no point in panels on my roof as I'm almost always boondocking and generally try to park in the shade. And it's very green around here... hard to find open fields sometimes. The (semi) portable panels allow me to put them where they'll work the best.

Thanks for the feedback!
I have one of the Renology 200 watt renology foldables that I bought used (works great), I also have a Renology 100 watt foldable which I got from amazon (missing controller) and I also have a sun gold power 130 watt foldable (got from amazon damaged). I use these in the desert southwest when winter RVing as my flat roof panels put out less power when the winter sun is low and these more than make up for it with an average 20+ amps delivered in low sun

Back