Don't read this, you'll be jealous...

Tom C

I live in Nevada and love it here. Lots of sun for solar year round. We went solar two years ago. Our power bills have been only the service charges ($13 even in the summer with full air cond running. Down from $280 in summer).

Have 27 panels with micro inverters. in Grid-Tie system.

With your off-grid and 40 acres I would look into geothermal to assist in heat and cooling. You only have to go down a few feet to get to 55 to 60 degree temps year round. Even going with part of house underground.
That's a real possibility...much of the property is sloped, I mean *really* sloped, so I'd love to take advantage of that.

SacRV

Solar Enthusiast
Tom, the price quote you got to bring in power doesn't sound right. I also have a large piece of rural property and to bring power in is significantly less. All you need is power to the road and trench in a line to your build site. Even if you needed to add poles it still shouldn't be that much.

Tom C

Tom, the price quote you got to bring in power doesn't sound right. I also have a large piece of rural property and to bring power in is significantly less. All you need is power to the road and trench in a line to your build site. Even if you needed to add poles it still shouldn't be that much.
I agree, but that's what NV energy quoted me. I submitted the paperwork to them, [still in the "design" phase] so we'll see. However, after some consideration, even if the total price were the same, say 25k, I'd still rather do solar than pay for the privilege of an electric bill.