diy solar

diy solar

don't use epever inverter (ip-plus series) if you plan to bond neutral to ground.

sergea

Solar Enthusiast
Just a warning for anyone who wants to use an Epever inverter (IP-plus series) with RCCB protection on AC out.

Output neutral and ground cannot be bonded on this inveter.

The weird thing is depending on where you get the documentation it won't be specified.

Last edited:
On Epever IP5000-42-Plus it can be connected, there is no RCCB inside...

On Epever IP5000-42-Plus it can be connected, there is no RCCB inside...
I wish, but according to the documentation, and their response to my request, all IP plus series can't have neutral bonded to ground.

that would mean they already have neutral and ground bonded inside and an rcd?

I have all the documentation, but I could not find, what you say. My local supplyer answer is it is possible. Send that document please.
Why it should be forbided?? There is no reason.

Some documentation are not up-to-date, my local supplyer documentation didnt has section about bonding neutral to ground also. However updated documentation explicitly said you can't do it. The design of this inverter series don't allow it according to the epever themselves. Only floating ground is possible. I'll push a screen shot of the documentation section

So, I have the setup done ground and chassis connected. No problem even if I ground minus pole of battery...
Regards

So, I have the setup done ground and chassis connected. No problem even if I ground minus pole of battery...
Regards
Connecting chassis to ground is a requirement, this is not an issue. I'am talking about connecting AC neutral to ground.

Attachments

• neutral_ground.png
    neutral_ground.png
    110.9 KB · Views: 23
Yes, N and GND are always connected somewhere to ground at some point... This is more about leakage current protector connection, if ther is one inside (which is not my case) N and GND could not be connected - the protection would trigger...
May be there are more versions of product, but in my version of manual there is not such a warning (IPower-Plus-Manual-EN-V3.0.pdf)

Did you check if Neutral is actually grounded? You can either do a continuity test when Invert is off, or just measure AC voltage between output Neutral and ground when inverter is in battery mode. If it's grounded, you should get 0v AC (or very close to that).

Hi, neutral is not connected inside the inverter to gnd, but there is no problem to connect neutral to ground...

Now wait until you get a device with a P leakage drived to GROUND and see what happends the person touching the device and your inverter.

Back