diy solar

diy solar

Double checking my figures

vdub

I have the following equipment:

SolTan Solar Panels (the used ones Will recommended)
39" x 65"
Model SS250P-60
Max Power 250W
Open-Circuit Voltage 37.6V
Voltage at Pmax 30.3V
Short-Circuit Current 8.85A
Current at Pmax 8.27A
Max System Voltage 600V
Fuse Rating 15A

MPPT EPEver
Model Tracer 6415AN
Voltage 12V/24V/36V/48V DC
Current 60A
Max PV Voltage 150V
Max PV Input Power
750W(12V), 1500W(24V)
2250W(36V), 3000W(48V)

If solar panels connected in parallel then increases amperage + to + to + chain
PMaxA for 4 panels in parallel is 33.08a
If all 4 parallel then 30V x 33A = 990W well under input rating for MPPT
Desired MPPT output is 12v at 60A charging one Battle Born 100a (putting in a 2nd 100a in parallel next spring)
I'm using all 8gauge for input to MPPT and 4 gauge for everything from the MPPT to the batteries and to the inverter.

I think I have more than enough over kill. Does this all looks right. Thanks for any advice. VW

Last edited:
If you're dealing with shade then a 4p configuration makes (some) sense. Otherwise, a 2s2p configuration may be less expensive due to needing only one 1 Y connector and no fuses. 4p requires four Y connectors and four fuses.

8 awg PV wire (it is PV rated, right?) is overkill (not necessarily a bad thing) if you go 2s2p, but may be appropriate for 4p. How long is the run from the panels to the solar charge controller?

Check the maximum wire gauge that the solar charge controller will accept. On my Victron equipment it was 6 awg.

A circuit breaker before and after the solar charge controller is recommended, sized appropriately for each side.

The 60amp solar charge controller may be too high a charge rate for a single 100 Ah battery. That's fine for two batteries of that size.

Thanks so much for the response. Battle Born told me my single 100ah would handle 60a just fine, so I'm going to hook it up that way so I don't have to make any changes when I get the 2nd battery. I've been charging the BB with a 60 a Precision Dynamics charger all summer and they seem to be just fine.

I like your idea of 2s2p. That would make it 60V and 14.5A and a 15A fuse on each bank.

Back