diy solar

diy solar

Double inverters

rpwhite 1313

I have a RV and it has a inverter installed by manufacturer. It works fine. My question is I installed a 48 vt Solar inverter conectected to the 30 Amp plug. It works fine but seems to be losing alot of power. Could the factory inverter be so inefficient that it is bringing the whole system down,orpossibly the combination of the two inverters losing because of there resting or transforming inefficiency. Should I wire the whole rv to the Solar inverter ( don't really want to do). Or is it good enough?

You mention an inverter installed by the manufacturer, is this actually a converter?
A Converter turns ac into dc.
An inverter turns dc into ac.
If in doubt please post a picture of old and new "inverters".

You mention an inverter installed by the manufacturer, is this actually a converter?
A Converter turns ac into dc.
An inverter turns dc into ac.
If in doubt please post a picture of old and new "inverters".
Yes in converts AC to AC and DC

I have a converter that came the trailer and a all in one that I tapped in to the 30amp RV plug

I think we need more info about your inverters and the loads you're drawing.

30a should be good for about 1200w on 48v

Last edited:
Lets rule out a power loop.
The converter must only run off of shore power.
The easy way to do this is to just disable the converter by turning off its breaker.

Last edited:
Code:
ac {
    |<-30_amp_main_breaker<-all_in_one<-surge_protector<-inlet<-pedestal
    |->branch_breaker->branch_circuit
}
dc {
    primitives {
        nnn|NNN| { fused busbar position where nnn is the wire guage and NNN is the fuse ampacity
        nnn|UUU| { un-fused busbar position where nnn is the wire guage }
        <-> { bi-directional current flow }
        -> { uni-directional current flow }
        <- { uni-directional current flow }
        pos { positive }
        neg { negative }
        eg { equipement ground }
    }
    pos {
        nnn|NNN|<->battery.pos
        nnn|NNN|<->all_in_one.pos
        nnn|NNN|->dc_load_center.pos
    }
    neg {
        nnn|UUU|<->battery.neg
        nnn|UUU|<->all_in_one.neg
        nnn|UUU|<-dc_load_center.neg
        nnn|UUU|<->all_in_one.eg
        nnn|UUU|<->chassis_bond
    }
}

I have a RV and it has a inverter installed by manufacturer. It works fine. My question is I installed a 48 vt Solar inverter conectected to the 30 Amp plug. It works fine but seems to be losing alot of power. Could the factory inverter be so inefficient that it is bringing the whole system down,orpossibly the combination of the two inverters losing because of there resting or transforming inefficiency. Should I wire the whole rv to the Solar inverter ( don't really want to do). Or is it good enough?
1st: sorry I dont think power is being dragged down cuz of double converter. Reason is: situation happens million timed daily with inverters in cars. Theres already a diode recitifier converting dc to ac coming out of alternator and the voltage is being regulated. Sooo no that cant be the issue.

1st: sorry I dont think power is being dragged down cuz of double converter. Reason is: situation happens million timed daily with inverters in cars. Theres already a diode recitifier converting dc to ac coming out of alternator and the voltage is being regulated. Sooo no that cant be the issue.
I think you have misunderstood the topology at play.

The typical rv power loop...
It happens when folks add an inverter to the factory setup and don't consider the power loop described below

loop->ac_2_dc_converter->dc_2_ac_inverter->loop

There is no diode in the typical circuit.

Dog on, I accidentally hit post. I was saying the more powerful inverter is going to over-ride the rv builtin one. Happens all the time. Ppl just dont know whats going on exactly. Some will utilize the 'house' battery. And some will just use the rv inverter. Depends on how long u want to boon-dock I guess. Meaning if u want more juice or need more stored power, ur going to have to go with ur solar inverter and upgraded battery bank.

All in all, minus the random gab lol, 1. U dont have to disconnect/remove the RV builtin inverter.
2. Something else is pulling ur power down. I recently bought a cheap watt reader on Amazon. Cool little device. U can plug anything into it and it will tell u watts being used. I'd be tempted to troubleshoot with 1 b4 throwing in towel on my new solar inverter

I think you have misunderstood the topology at play.

The typical rv power loop...
It happens when folks add an inverter to the factory setup and don't consider the power loop described below

loop->ac_2_dc_converter->dc_2_ac_inverter->loop

There is no diode in the typical circuit.
The 'house' battery is being charged off RV running (laymans terms)... thats what im trying to say; but more important, post on here etc and bookoos of folks just ignore the builtin inverter.

Believe me, Ive been doing po'folk solar build to point thought about removing converter from burned up motorhome. For real. Im in a camper and wanted to run ac stuff but dog on thing is 1975. So aarghh!

Good luck with ur endeavors. Pls post what u find out. Curious whats pulling ur power down.

The 'house' battery is being charged off RV running (laymans terms)... thats what im trying to say; but more important, post on here etc and bookoos of folks just ignore the builtin inverter.

Believe me, Ive been doing po'folk solar build to point thought about removing converter from burned up motorhome. For real. Im in a camper and wanted to run ac stuff but dog on thing is 1975. So aarghh!

Good luck with ur endeavors. Pls post what u find out. Curious whats pulling ur power down.
Its not my problem.
I'm helping the OP solve his problem.

OP: do you have a converter that might get powered up with your added inverter?
If so you need to disconnect the converter or re-wire to avoid powering the converter while using the added inverter.

Back