diy solar

diy solar

Double sol ark 12k question

FightThePower

Hello, I am interested in having a 2nd sol ark 12k inverter. But my question is can they both be backfeeding the same grid tie main panel and not be connected to one anotner in master slave configuration? I don't see why they need to be connected. I have my reasons for not wanting them connected to one another. Just need to know if theres any gotchas with doing this?

Thanks!

That is an excellent question: When the grid is up then both inverters would be synchronized to the grid frequency BUT if the grid goes down there is no way for the 2 inverters to frequency sync without the communication cable between them or a primary/secondary operating arrangement.

I have 23 micro inverters back feeding the main panel so conceptually the answer is Yes. as @BentleyJ said that is when the grid is up. However the devil is in the details in terms of other functionality that only SolArk can answer. Also there are NEC rules about how much backfred you can put onto a main panel bus bar. More info would be needed in terms of PV capacity and other possible loads.

That is an excellent question: When the grid is up then both inverters would be synchronized to the grid frequency BUT if the grid goes down there is no way for the 2 inverters to frequency sync without the communication cable between them or a primary/secondary operating arrangement.
When the grid goes down they stop backfeeding the main grid tie panel so that should be fine.

The way my house is setup, there is a 200A solar ready eaton main panel thats grid tied. And the house has its own 100A sub panel, and garage has its own 100A subpanel, and anotner 100A subpanel for pool equipment. The 200A solar ready eaton panel feeds all the smaller 100A panels.

And theres another 200A grid tied main panel with 2nd power meter for water well pumps.The well setup has grid tied micro inverter solar array.

The main panel feeding the house/garage/pool has a sol ark12k. I want to put the 2nd sol ark on this panel and have its critical load be the house. The existing solark12k has the garage subpanel as the critical load.

The reason I dont want them synchronized is 1.) I may want to use different battery types on each inverter. 2.) If things go badly, I want to be able to pull one inverter and use it to run the well setup in case of emergency only. We live in a fire zone and power does get cut.

I called solark and they said not a problem as long as its grid tied. If we were to go fully offgrid, the inverters should be synchronized if feeding the same panel.

When the grid goes down they stop backfeeding the main grid tie panel so that should be fine.

The way my house is setup, there is a 200A solar ready eaton main panel thats grid tied. And the house has its own 100A sub panel, and garage has its own 100A subpanel, and anotner 100A subpanel for pool equipment. The 200A solar ready eaton panel feeds all the smaller 100A panels.

And theres another 200A grid tied main panel with 2nd power meter for water well pumps.The well setup has grid tied micro inverter solar array.

The main panel feeding the house/garage/pool has a sol ark12k. I want to put the 2nd sol ark on this panel and have its critical load be the house. The existing solark12k has the garage subpanel as the critical load.

The reason I dont want them synchronized is 1.) I may want to use different battery types on each inverter. 2.) If things go badly, I want to be able to pull one inverter and use it to run the well setup in case of emergency only. We live in a fire zone and power does get cut.
You can do master / slave and have different types of battery packs o. Each of the Solarc’s. Not an issue.

You can do master / slave and have different types of battery packs o. Each of the Solarc’s. Not an issue.
Really? I want to do that if its possible. Did you try it?

I was looking for a wire trough so i could setup a 2nd sol ark but they are all sold out. Something going on with Hammond.

Have you tried Gordon Electric for Hoffman wire throughs?
I ordered an “in stock“ 200A transfer switch per their website and a salesman over the phone. Then, it was back ordered for 30 days, that turned into 180 days. I canceled the order and finally received a refund. I will never order anything from them again.

I saw on a solarc webinar that they said each system could have its own battery bank. That said, I believe they could be different sizes, type, etc. You might just try calling their support line. They have always been helpful when I call them.

Back