diy solar

diy solar

Downsides of using rail-less mounts like s-5 pvkit on metal roofs?

lns

I'm planning on installing 18 same-spec panels on a metal roof using s-5 ribbracket and pvkit (in a 2p9s array and for the eg4 6000ex all-in-one inverter).
Has anyone done this and can share your experience?
What are the downsides of using such a rail-less system? It seems like a cheap and easy way to get the panels up and running.
Also, what considerations need to be made for picking which 9 panels should be in a series?
TIA

I'm planning on installing 18 same-spec panels on a metal roof using s-5 ribbracket and pvkit (in a 2p9s array and for the eg4 6000ex all-in-one inverter).
Has anyone done this and can share your experience?
What are the downsides of using such a rail-less system? It seems like a cheap and easy way to get the panels up and running.
Also, what considerations need to be made for picking which 9 panels should be in a series?
TIA
I am also considering using rail less unirac sfm infinity. Have not done it yet

i literally finished a 32 panel install today at my house using the S5 rib bracket 3. Saved a few dollars over a rail based system. And saved me about 750-1000lbs of weight on my shop. It’s maybe a minor factor harder as an instead of a 40’ section of rail thats pretty similar to align, you have about 20 brackets. I used a laser to put the first row of brackets down to keep things straight so it’s not that hard. Just take your time and Not a big deal. i can say that the rib brackets hold those panels down way stronger that the rail system. I did no brackets on the short sides and did three mid grabs per landscape side panel. I did two edge per landscape side panel on the edge.

i literally finished a 32 panel install today at my house using the S5 rib bracket 3. Saved a few dollars over a rail based system. And saved me about 750-1000lbs of weight on my shop. It’s maybe a minor factor harder as an instead of a 40’ section of rail thats pretty similar to align, you have about 20 brackets. I used a laser to put the first row of brackets down to keep things straight so it’s not that hard. Just take your time and Not a big deal. i can say that the rib brackets hold those panels down way stronger that the rail system. I did no brackets on the short sides and did three mid grabs per landscape side panel. I did two edge per landscape side panel on the edge.
Nice! do you have some photos you could post or DM me? I also bought the rib3 and pvkit

Out of town now but yes I can do that. DM me if I forget to do it tomorrow.

Where did you guys get the S-5 rib brackets? The vendor I was looking at seems to not carry any s-5 products now and the others I have found require purchasing in bulk. I just need for the time being. Maybe 16 total in the future so I really don’t want to get 48.

Where did you guys get the S-5 rib brackets? The vendor I was looking at seems to not carry any s-5 products now and the others I have found require purchasing in bulk. I just need for the time being. Maybe 16 total in the future so I really don’t want to get 48.
I ordered mine from Big Rock Supply last year. They are in stock and you can order them in any quantity, I received a split box.

Last edited:
Back