diy solar

diy solar

Drawings for PV Permit (Off-Grid)

jeff8houses

TLDR: We're looking for someone that can draw up PV schematics so we can pull our permit.

We have an off-grid cabin we purchased last summer and are in the process of updating it and getting it up to code with the aim of getting our Certificate of Occupancy. It's a well-built 80's geodesic dome that came with an equally old solar setup (huge props to the previous owner for keeping it solar when it was much more difficult!). I ripped out the old system and installed an intermediate setup while we remodeled the place and assessed our needs. Right now we have an EG4 3000 inverter/charge controller, 2x5kWh LiFePower batteries, and 4x400W panels. Good enough to work on the place but far from our longer term goals of adding things like hot water heating/storage and EV charging.

The previous owner never permitted anything so we're having to retroactively permit plumbing and electrical. Plumbing was relatively easy but we have a brand new regional electrical inspector who's being pretty demanding. They want use to pull electrical and PV permits at the same time (the plan was to do electrical first, then tackle PV later). Not a huge deal, but it means we're having to accelerate our PV upgrade plans.

We plan on adding another 5 400W panels, for a total of 9 panels, upgrading to the the EG4 6500W inverter/charger, and putting in an Iron Ridge ground mount system that will allow for an additional 9 panels (18 total in the future) plus a couple more LiFePower batteries.

I have all the spec sheets, calculations, site layout, and more all ready to go, but don't have the actual schematics/drawings necessary to pull the PV permit, nor am I licensed/certified to do so. I've been working with a guy working for a larger solar outfit that was willing to do it as a side gig but just bailed on us and am kind of stuck. He said "You're totally solid on all your work and should be able to draw them up myself", but I have no reference on what the diagram/schematic should look like. Anyone out there have some examples, advice, or the means to do this? We're in Colorado if anyone happens to be in the area!

Thanks a ton for any guidance!

We have an off-grid cabin we purchased last summer and are in the process of updating it and getting it up to code with the aim of getting our Certificate of Occupancy.
Two questions... Why is your goal to get an occupancy permit? You don't really need one if you are actually off grid unless it was a condition of the loan or something. Also, have you looked to see if you can even get an occupancy permit without grid tie?

Depending on jurisdiction, they might not be satisfied with anything less than a complete tear down. Be careful drawing the attention of the state. On the other hand the inspector could save you if you don’t know somethings a potential death trap. Talk to neighbors and get a “lay of the land” as far as how easy the locality is to work with.

Last edited:
A friend just needed new panel but it ended up with a lot of other inspections, even something as unrelated as having the septic inspection. Pull a thread and get an avalanche.

Looking for someone to do schematics drawings for permit in Northern California. Ant advice? 5 k all in one in inverter, ground mount - four 415 watt solar panels, manual transfer switch, two 48 volt 100 amp/hrs batteries.

Back