diy solar

diy solar

Dream setup?

mkrieger

Hi all! I've gone back and forth looking for the perfect solution, but can't seem to land on one particular thing.

Here's what I'd like to do. I have a camper that has 2 50Ah AGM batteries in it now. It's currently set up for solar, AC, and tow vehicle charging. Right now, the charger system is the Noco Genius Gen 2 2 bank 20A charger. It's a 12V system.

I want to replace these batteries with new LiFePO4 lithium batteries (or just one battery) for a total of 200Ah. I want to be able to have the batteries be self-heating (live in a cold climate), have under/over temp charge protection, and be able to charge with solar, 120v AC, and/or my tow vehicle.

So what would everyone suggest in the way of components? Are there schematics showing how to hook things up that you can point me to? I can't seem to find the 'whole picture' anywhere.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Also, please explain how you are currently charging from the tow vehicle.

And you might as well tell us about your solar. How many watts? What charge controller?

The tow vehicle is a Tesla Model Y with a 7 pin connector. Output is 12+- volts.

No solar or charge controller at the moment. I have room for about 200w on the roof, but am okay with a portable solar array that folds up.

I have no idea about charging from the Tesla. As far as the other stuff, here is the general idea:

1. Determine what you want your electrical system to do.
2. Calculate how much electricity it will take to do that.
3. Multiply that number by the number of days you want to be able to do it without re-charging.
4. Figure out how to recharge your batteries.

1-3 will give you an idea of how much battery you need. You stated 200 amp hours but did you base that on your actual needs? Let's assume that 200 ah is the correct number.

You will need to check the charging limits of the specific batteries that you use. If you were to use Battleborn batteries, you would be allowed to charge at a rate of up to 100 amps (approximately 1200 watts). Obviously, your batteries can easily handle 200 watts of solar, so that will be one source of charging. You will run cables from your solar panels to a solar charge controller, and then from the solar charge controller to the batteries. The solar charge controller will convert the output voltage of the solar panels to the correct voltage for charging your batteries.

The other source of charging will be from 110v plug in (generally referred to as shore power). A good way to accomplish this is by using a device called an inverter/charger. The inverter part will take your battery electricity and turn it into 110 volt alternating current so that you can have regular wall type sockets in your camper. The charger part will use 110v power when you are able to plug into the grid, and use that to charge your battery. The inverter charger also has a special relay built into it that will automatically sense when you are plugged into the grid, and it will automatically power your loads off of the grid while it also charges your battery. You will select your inverter/charger based on two factors: how big of a load do you need to power, and the size of your battery bank. We have already established that each particular battery has a specification for maximum charging current. It also has a specification for maximum discharge current. You want to choose an inverter charger that plays well with your batteries.

There are many, many products that you could use to achieve your "dream." Here is one list:

2 X Battleborn 100 amp hour batteries
1 x REC Alpha 375 watt solar panel
Victron 30 amp solar charge controller
Magnum MS2012 Inverter/charger

Hopefully this will remove some of the mystery and allow you to start learning more.

Here's a diagram of my system which I think is the bees knees. Simple, robust and expensive.

DC wiring 290RL rev 1.jpg

Back