diy solar

diy solar

Drilled Hole Into Solar Panel

danielsjoseph891

So as the title suggests, I was relocating my z-brackets due to the contour of my roof. Believe it or not, I was being methodical, obviously not completely. I didn't break the glass, but from the glass side there is the blemish I have depicted in the attached photos. Do I need to get online and order a new panel right now? If this mistake is going to cause a bunch of unpredictability, especially after permanently installed while I'm out on the road, I'd rather just take the hit and get new panel. I do not have any other of my solar components if they are required to perform any voltage tests (I'm new to all of this). What I did was very stupid, I already realize that so if those willing to help could chastise under their breath for now I'd appreciate it. This is a 100 watt HQST panel, 1 of 4 that will be wired series/parallel(2 series pairs wired in parallel). Please advise. And thank you.

Attachments

• panel pic 2.jpg
    panel pic 2.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 55
  • panel pic 1.jpg
    panel pic 1.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 55
So as the title suggests, I was relocating my z-brackets due to the contour of my roof. Believe it or not, I was being methodical, obviously not completely. I didn't break the glass, but from the glass side there is the blemish I have depicted in the attached photos. Do I need to get online and order a new panel right now? If this mistake is going to cause a bunch of unpredictability, especially after permanently installed while I'm out on the road, I'd rather just take the hit and get new panel. I do not have any other of my solar components if they are required to perform any voltage tests (I'm new to all of this). What I did was very stupid, I already realize that so if those willing to help could chastise under their breath for now I'd appreciate it. This is a 100 watt HQST panel, 1 of 4 that will be wired series/parallel(2 series pairs wired in parallel). Please advise. And thank you.
With that small of localized damage I believe the loss in output won’t even be noticeable, think small bird dropping. If it was me I would consider it a “near miss”.

Just put it in the sunshine and see how the output compares to your other panels to get a definitive answer.

A simple cheapie volt meter will tell you if output is compromised.
Set in full sun, measure the output voltage, it should match the VOC pretty close.
then measure amperage, and it should measure close to max amps as well.

Get the Voc and Isc measured and compare to the others and the specs.
Post the results.

I'd be more worried about the stability of the glass than the output of the panel. I've not had first hand experience of damaged solar panel glass, but I do know it's tempered glass, which tbh I'm surprised didn't shatter when you drilled into it. I'd be worried that with expansion and contraction with heat it may cause that weak point to fracture the glass. As someone who has glazed many windows, I know how easily tempered glass can shatter, often on its own because of damage like a chip.

Maybe someone who has damaged one can add to this.

I'd be more worried about the stability of the glass than the output of the panel. I've not had first hand experience of damaged solar panel glass, but I do know it's tempered glass, which tbh I'm surprised didn't shatter when you drilled into it. I'd be worried that with expansion and contraction with heat it may cause that weak point to fracture the glass. As someone who has glazed many windows, I know how easily tempered glass can shatter, often on its own because of damage like a chip.

To me it doesn't appear to have made it to the glass. Whether it did or didn't, there is no chip, crack or fracture in the glass that I can physically see with my own eyes.

I have three shattered panels. But they were forklift damaged panels. One has a fork hole clear through it... they all still produce decent power.

You could ask a friend glass repair shop to fix it for you.

We buy panels cheaper than you can buy a sheet of glass.
And the existing glass has index-match epoxy attaching it to cells. No way to replace (that we know of). Heat softens epoxy, but I suspect it softens the backsheet too.

I had a rock or two off a mower (I'm guessing) blast two of my panels once. Essentially shattered and spider webbed the glass and put a big divot in the panel where the rock hit. If not for the backing, it would have gone right through. But then it evidently bounced or maybe another smaller rock hit the adjacent panel and cracked that one too. Funny tho, didn't lose any output. I eventually replaced them in case of any water intrusion and impact to other panels, controller, etc.

You are probably fine. Maybe superglue or windshield repair the glass so no water can get in.

I was thinking along the same line...keep an eye on it...as mentioned, maybe seal it

Back