diy solar

diy solar

Drilling Through RV Right (Curbside) wall

chrisski

Solar Boondocker
I am drilling through my RV wall and do not know how they are constructed. Would you consider this a good place to drill though the wall without going through a beam? Please assume for the sake of discussion this is the only place. It is for a battery vent, and if wall idea doesn't work a pipe is getting inserted to go through the roof, and I really do not want to add a vertical pipeHole Inside.jpgHole Outside.jpg
Where I plan on drilling the hole is on the pink circle. To me on the inside pic, its below the aluminum frame so should be fine, and on the outside, the vent will fit there.

I'm hoping to avoid joining an RV forum to get an answer on this.

I would use the hole saw size you need and drill the hole from the inside. If you hit a structure piece it is easy to put a patch on it. At least easier than from the outside. Your getting pretty close to the window frame so there is a good chance there is a structural piece there.

I would use the hole saw size you need and drill the hole from the inside. If you hit a structure piece it is easy to put a patch on it. At least easier than from the outside. Your getting pretty close to the window frame so there is a good chance there is a structural piece there.
I drilled the hole through a different part than is in the pictures. I liked what I saw on an RV forum about "Not being afraid to attempt something you can't fix yourself or hire someone else to do."

I will be doing a bit of fiberglass patchwork this weekend. I work with a guy who used to do body work for a living and I've been asking him a lot of questions.

I ran into a structural piece on the first drill, and had to move the hole a couple of inches lower to miss the structural piece. The piece was not visible from the inside or out, so had I done the hole from the inside, I still would have to redrill it, but not to messy. At least I put blue masking tape over the area I was drilling. I didn't know why I was supposed to do that, but did it, and then the drill slipped and the tape saved from some scratches.

Back