Drinking water from thin air

Warpspeed

Solar Enthusiast
If you still think this is a good idea, try collecting the water condensate that comes out of your refrigerator or air conditioner and see how clean it is....

Dust and fluff, pollution, airborne bacteria, dead insects, you get it all, as well as some water.
Great for watering plants, or flushing the toilet, and maybe scrubbing floors. But its definitely not drinkable.

Exactly the same problem as recovered rainwater runoff from a roof.
And you can add dead leaves, bird crap, and feathers to all of the above as well for roof water.

bdamit

If you still think this is a good idea, try collecting the water condensate that comes out of your refrigerator or air conditioner and see how clean it is....

Dust and fluff, pollution, airborne bacteria, dead insects, you get it all, as well as some water.
Great for watering plants, or flushing the toilet, and maybe scrubbing floors. But its definitely not drinkable.

Exactly the same problem as recovered rainwater runoff from a roof.
And you can add dead leaves, bird crap, and feathers to all of the above as well for roof water.
I cannot agree with you here, what you say just sounds like hearsay or dirty habits! ;)

Drinking rain water from rooves is perfectly acceptable if you follow some basic hygiene and common sense.

As an experiment I just tested the collected condensation runoff from the fridge and the water has an exceptionally clean 12ppm TDS value.

More importantly, The rainwater collected from our clay tile roof, which is mesh filtered en-route from the roof for larger particles, and stored in an ancient 12,000 litre underground cistern, gives a value of 52ppm TDS. After a short settling period after rainfall, we fill glass gallon demijohns with this water as required and leave them in full sunshine (it is very sunny here) for some UV treatment. This is our daily drinking and cooking water and we are a very healthy family of five, no friends have ever complained about our crystal clear water.
So rain water is MOST DEFINITELY DRINKABLE, with no worms, no infection, no diarrhoea, no mineral deficiencies, no feathers (!)

These are values that can also be expected of a reverse osmosis drinking water treatment. Compare that to many brands of plastic-bottled supermarket 'drinking water' which actually more resembles 'tap water' having considerably higher TDS values.

Thanks!

Warpspeed

Solar Enthusiast
It must be great to live in an area where your clay tile roof collects zero dust or pollen, and there are no birds or flying insects or other pests like squirrels or possums to pee and crap on your roof. Its pretty open around here, its teeming with bird life, any low spot in the guttering breeds mosquitoes in certain months.

Definitely agree though, something like a carbon filter, or reverse osmosis, or even distillation can solve a lot of the worst problems.
For long term storage of water, its usually recommended that a cool underground light proof location is best.
Ultraviolet is good, but raised temperature tends to multiply any pathogens, and drives out the dissolved gasses.

Even rainwater that has fallen through a few thousand feet of industrial smog is polluted even before it hits the ground.
I guess it all depends on your location. A direct steady ocean breeze would be about as clean as it gets.

OffGridInTheCity

Solar Addict
I agree that 'raw water' has risks, but there are perfectly OK solutions to purify water.

- Berkeys are one - low-tech and work very well to make safe drinking water out of condenser water or rainharvest water or other water.
1652366242907.png

- Our rain harvest system uses - roof -> first-flush -> 400micron sock -> 20micron -> 5micron -> Class A UV is perfectly safe for house level 3000g-per-month water!
1652366192361.png

Last edited:

curiouscarbon

Science Penguin
set up berkey filter for first time on kitchen counter this week. filled from tap. improves the subjective character/taste of the water.

i've got a modded dorm fridge with additional insulation (not on the parts that dissipate heat)

berkey seems good enough to include as at least one stage of filtering condensed water.

filtering the AIR before condensing is very important to me. IQair filter is what i plan to use to remove particles from the air.

atmospheric water generation is cool, but not the most efficient, but does absolutely work.

cheers for all the info!