diy solar

diy solar

Drok current limited power supply as charger

DThames

Solar Wizard
Will suggested this power supply as a charger in his Milk Crate build. The power supply instructions say don't connect to a load that will pull more than the rated current. I got the 20amp version with plans to connect it to a 200ah LiFePo4 battery. I have concerns the battery might be too much of a load for this power supply. Anyone have experience with this supply on a battery of this size?

That's not really a battery charger. It COULD be used as one, but it would be safer, and better for the batteries, if you got a multi-stage Lithium charger.

Like you said, the battery will try and max the unit out, it doesn't appear to have current limiting. A bench power supply (almost all have current limiting) would be great as well.

The current limiting on these are for self protection. Not suitable for charger.

Look for one that has CV and CC controls like these.

Found this one on Amazon. The idea of no current control was bothering me a bit. Putting together a power box in a bit of a hurry and missed that point at first glance.

Found this one on Amazon. The idea of no current control was bothering me a bit. Putting together a power box in a bit of a hurry and missed that point at first glance.
That would work, but for the price (and specs), I would get a bench power supply with knobs and gauges, it's easier to set it up. I have 2 of these, and they rock, both are accurate to 0.01v (according to a calibrated Fluke).

That would work, but for the price (and specs), I would get a bench power supply with knobs and gauges, it's easier to set it up. I have 2 of these, and they rock, both are accurate to 0.01v (according to a calibrated Fluke).

It is for use in a portable power box (battery, inverter, charger) so a bench supply would be less than ideal for this specific use. Also, it is for someone without any knowledge of what knob to turn, or not to turn.

Back