diy solar

diy solar

DROK for battery bank(s) monitoring

coachgeo

Poor Mans Expedition camper build
Purchased a used once Drok.... got it for around 25 bucks. Model VAC9010H which looks like to go only up to 100A.

question(s)
> does this 100amp limit effect ability to read amp hours of a bank that has much larger capacity than 100ah?
> can you parallel wire more than one battery (or bank) thru the hall magnet and put a switch on the leg(s) going thru the drok. Throw switch on only one at a time to measure it as it passes thru the magnet. Maybe a diode on opposite side so cant get back feed thru Hall Magnet? Or does anyone see a more KISS/but still not costly way measure more than one battery's or bank's information?

This is on an offroad camper
>will have lead bank for starting,
> Aux bank for like winching probably AGM.
>>> battery isolator/switch between those two for auto selecting of which is getting a charge.
> LiPo4 bank charged off aux bank. Aux bank gets all the solar charging too.
PS- Don't want to confuse this topic with getting into why/how aux bank gets the solar & alternator charging and that bank is used for charging the LiPo4...... that is just how Im doing it cause Im nuts. (the BBMS device is least costly way I could come up with for non smart 24v funky extremely expensive military alternator I run, much less, the APU's 24v alternator, to charge the LiPo4 when driving or using APU. That is all on that topic for this discussion.

I’m afraid it’ll not keep track of capacity if you exceed it’s current rating. They make a newer “DROK DC 0-120V Coulometer”(grey frame, roundish corners) shunt type, that’s available in a 400 amp flavor that’s true Blue tooth and has very good documentation,$79.99. Drok makes another type(square corner-blue frame), it has a Hall effect (donuts ring) sensor. It not does not have a Bluetooth app, it is wireless only to it’s display. The instructions are difficult and it’s mostly trial and error so write down all the default settings so you can get back to square one. Both have nice displays. The former has lots of features like time remaining. Both do a good job and don’t have reset the capacity often. The latter unit is off in voltage reading by .3 volts after 8 months of use. I also have two like yours but retired them because of capacity limit. They work ok but the display isn’t as nice.

Last edited:
I’m afraid it’ll not keep track of capacity if you exceed it’s current rating. They make a newer “DROK DC 0-120V Coulometer”(grey frame, roundish corners) shunt type, that’s available in a 400 amp flavor that’s true Blue tooth and has very good documentation,$79.99. Drok makes another type(square corner-blue frame), it has a Hall effect (donuts ring) sensor. It not does not have a Bluetooth app, it is wireless only to it’s display. The instructions are difficult and it’s mostly trial and error so write down all the default settings so you can get back to square one. Both have nice displays. The former has lots of features like time remaining. Both do a good job and don’t have reset the capacity often. The latter unit is off in voltage reading by .3 volts after 8 months of use. I also have two like yours but retired them because of capacity limit. They work ok but the display isn’t as nice.
thanks... no desire for blue tooth or apps.
amp hours is my wonder..... not amps.
nothing except my alternator(s) goes over 100amps in my system. Nothing over 36v ( 28.8 nominal?). so sounds like my lead I can monitor minimally with old school amp/volt meter??? and use the Drok on my 24v lithium 200ah bank???? or is my thinking off (again)

thanks... no desire for blue tooth or apps.
amp hours is my wonder..... not amps.
nothing except my alternator(s) goes over 100amps in my system. Nothing over 36v ( 28.8 nominal?). so sounds like my lead I can monitor minimally with old school amp/volt meter??? and use the Drok on my 24v lithium 200ah bank???? or is my thinking off (again)
Everything mentioned on this thread will measure amp hours (capacity) and actual current. What you have is a first generation Drok. As long as you don’t exceed the current for anything but the briefest moment, what you got should work and count capacity fine.

Back