diy solar

diy solar

Drop in LiFePO4 for gell cell

Texas-Mark

Solar Addict
I'm looking for a LiFePO4 battery that is the same physical size (or close) to a 7Ah gel cell. Of course one would think one would get higher capacity in the same physical size.

I was looking at the one linked below from Amazon, but they seem to have bad reviews on the capacity. I do not want to order from China. Does anyone know of a reputable brand/seller for this size? Note: I am not worried about charging requirements as this is for my own DIY project. The battery just needs to fit in the same spot I had the gel cell.

Hah, do you actually trust those so-called reviews by mostly duffers?

Case in point - pics show high-resistance clip-leads being used, and not simple ring terminals. In the 10ah version, one would hope that actual F-type terminals that are tight are being used - again, clip leads suck.

These types of batteries usually improve in balance with a few charge/discharge cycles to allow the bms to balance the cells. The factory isn't going to waste time doing this on a 10ah batt. Takes a few cycles.

90%, or in this case 9AH imperfectly measured, would be much more than your 7ah gell cell provides now, given that you generally don't want to use more than 50% capacity (3.5ah max per cycle in your gel's situation), you'd be getting much more than twice the *usable* capacity from it.

Sure there's trash, but there are also duffers wanting to be dramatic not knowing how to use their equipment. Clip-leads were the red-flag here.

Case in point - pics show high-resistance clip-leads being used, and not simple ring terminals. In the 10ah version, one would hope that actual F-type terminals that are tight are being used - again, clip leads suck.

Yes, but he was using a low discharge rate. I doubt the clip leads make much of a difference at less than half an amp (he has at least the 20ah battery). Some of the other reviews also noted poor capacity, especially when compared to what they were using.

I'm not dismissing "operator error", just noting that there were quite a few 1 stars for the same capacity issue.

Ok, at this low-end range, I'm pretty happy with my TalentCell types. You just might have to take the chance on *some* vendor - knowing that we'll probably never see the quality of a Battleborn in the 10ah size. :)

Just an update that I bought the one like in the link but from a cheaper vendor than Amazon. I topped it up and then did a capacity test at a discharge rate of 1 amp and a cutoff of 11V and got 10.1ah out of it. So I'm pretty happy about the actual capacity, and that it is a direct physical size replacement for my project.

Back