diy solar

diy solar

Dryer inrush current making inverter go into bypass for AC

djismgaming

Hi, thanks in advance for any guidance on this issue.

I have an MPPSolar LV5048 that I bought on https://usa-mpp-solar.com, fast shipping to Puerto Rico and great inverter.
Powered by 4000w of solar (12 panels) and 13kw of lithium connected with 1/0 cable from battery to inverter.

I have a 120v Gas Dryer (used to have a 240v electric one) and upon it starting brings the inverter into bypass mode.
Has anyone had this experience and are there any ways to make it so that the inrush in current from the motor is not that huge?
Any other input will be greatly appreciated too.

The dryer runs perfectly fine with the inverter after it goes back to battery power in 10 minutes from being in bypass mode and keeps being there until the set cycle time is complete. And also runs great when inverter is put in utility mode (line mode), starts and runs like a charm.

Last edited:
Do you have the bypass enabled in the setup menu. By default it's off, I turned it on and my spa pump would put into bypass. Once I disabled it in the menu it never had a problem after..

ya a thermistor inline with the load will do the trick, best is to put only on the motor or what ever is the cause of inrush. that way when the motor is off it can reset, else the background loads will keep it on a little.

Even if the disabling bypass mode helps it to work, it may not be a bad idea to look at getting a soft starter for the actual motor circuit as it can help to ease the normal stress on the inverter when the dryer starts, soft starters will chop off the harsh current spike at motor startup. I am planning to put soft starters on all my motors when I get all set up...

This happens to be the brand I bought one to prototype in my environment to start with:

Thats also the brand I am ordering for my HVAC also because I didn't see a microaire unit with large enough rating. They appear to be a very god company and the unit is less expensive than a comparable microaire.

Thats also the brand I am ordering for my HVAC also because I didn't see a microaire unit with large enough rating. They appear to be a very god company and the unit is less expensive than a comparable microaire.
Not sure what sizes they have, but there's also other companies (Hyperengineering, Weg, and Stellar) for a soft-starter,

Back