diy solar

diy solar

Dual Axis Trackers

Lt.Dan

Solar Wizard
Hey guys, does anybody have any leads on where to purchase an easy dual axis tracker kit or something? I'd like to be able to fit 6x 250w panels, but I understand that is a bit heavy. I dont want to have to contact a commercial supplier or anything. Even easy plans to make one yourself.

I would like to just buy more panels to fill my needs, but I am limited on square footage, and also limited on equipment. If I can maximize output based on what I already have, would be perfect.

I had looked into this idea a couple years ago. There are so many ways you can go with it though. It can get to be a rabbit hole if you're not careful, you almost have to watch all the different ways, and kind of balance out the factors important to you (between turn-key solution vs DIY, electric or mechanical, single-axis vs dual-axis, tracking control mechanism or electronics), decide on the methodology you want to use.

I never did do anything with it, but just had pondered on all the different stuff involved. I'll just post a couple links from bookmarks I had thought were interesting to me at the time:

Engineer775:
( https://www.pursuitsolar.com/ )

Eco-Worthy:
( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JYAIS9W - Read the reviews first before getting hopes too high)

There's even more options and videos too now when I do a current search on it:

I would just watch as many videos as you can on it before deciding on a particular way yet.

Wind factor would be a big concern to me, depending on your area, making sure whatever you design is strong enough. I'd almost rather build a single-axis tracker (single-axis still will follow a correct arc on the azimuth angle, and can track the sun fine), using a separate manual up-down seasonal-adjust (similar to the old C-band satellite dish antennas), because the dual-axis right on the pivot, they seem to be too weak, unless you use really heavy-duty parts. I liked the chain drive method above where it pulls farther out from the sides, instead of so close to the pivot, seem stronger.

Also, to keep some spacing between the solar panels to let excess wind pressure bleed off and go through the array (reducing 'sail' effect).

Last edited:
Back