diy solar

diy solar

Dual-level solar panel roof rack?

RogerD

Has anyone built a dual-level solar panel roof rack?

I'm going to put (2) 400w panels on top of an SUV and have the bottom panel slide out.

Going to do the same with (2) 200w panels on top of a custom cargo box I'm building. The cargo box will also have a spot to mount 2 additional 200w panels that I can take off and put on the ground.

I was also thinking about making them tilt. Which I don't think would be difficult to do.

Anyway, looking for ideas. The only ones I have seen do something similar was on a bus and they mounted (8) 435w panels (4 on top and 4 on bottom). They were all flat / no tilting.

Had this same convo on the phone 2 hours ago

That is who I was referring to regarding 8 panels on a bus. As of right now, I plan to just do something very similar since they figured out what works. I'm pretty sure I will make them tilt as well. However, it would be cool to see if anyone else has done something similar.

I posted that exact thread last week, no replies. No one answers my questions here any longer anyways. :censored:

Maybe no one has built a dual-level rack.

I'll definitely be building.
there is a Canadian company selling a dual level where the lower level slides out. can't seem to find the link anymore...

In Australia you can buy those as well. https://trailerpartsdirect.com.au/s.../solar-panels/100-watt-slide-out-solar-panel/

It's not that difficult of a project - 2 industrial drawer slides a bunch of hardware and some measurements - make sure that roof mount is strong - you are building a nice big sail there.

I'm going to put (2) 400w panels on top of an SUV and have the bottom panel slide out.

Going to do the same with (2) 200w panels on top of a custom cargo box I'm building. The cargo box will also have a spot to mount 2 additional 200w panels that I can take off and put on the ground.

I was also thinking about making them tilt. Which I don't think would be difficult to do.

Anyway, looking for ideas. The only ones I have seen do something similar was on a bus and they mounted (8) 435w panels (4 on top and 4 on bottom). They were all flat / no tilting.
Just in case you haven't seen Everlanders - he built a pretty nice system
and
. His whole set up is impressive.

I was thinking of having them stow flat, one over the other. Then deploy by tilting one to the right and one to the left, meet in the middle.
That makes a 60 degree angle between them, one for AM sun and one for PM. - peak output will never be more than a single panel, but should produce all day long.
Would be pretty good in Summer when the sun passes overhead, but off season would be better if it had a Southern tilt too.
Structurally, it is two hinges. Easier than a slide and support.

I was thinking of having them stow flat, one over the other. Then deploy by tilting one to the right and one to the left, meet in the middle.
That makes a 60 degree angle between them, one for AM sun and one for PM. - peak output will never be more than a single panel, but should produce all day long.
Would be pretty good in Summer when the sun passes overhead, but off season would be better if it had a Southern tilt too.
Structurally, it is two hinges. Easier than a slide and support.
I got two panels on my Van with a tilt - fixed mounted - not 60 degree - more like 30 to fit them.
My "solar tent" It works very nice - point the front or back of the Van to South during the summer and the production starts early in the morning and continues till evening. During midday I get full input of both panels.

During the winter I park with the front to east or west and only one solar panel gets the full exposure.

I see you putting this together on other threads. I just have to say to be careful about winds with any extendable solar array. I don’t know how they will hold out.

I’m at the end of my first year of solar usage, and some of the places I stayed had winds that went from calm to 35 knots in the course of two hours. Usually happened with sunsets and sunrises and staying at the edge of mountains and flat areas In valleys. I’ve had my ground mounted panels blow away, but lucky for me I had them chained to the RV, so they did not go far. Other items that were blown away and not to be found.

I am working with Bogart Engineering (SF Bay Area, Calif) to transform a rooftop deck into two layers of panels, giving me 400 more watts on my 2006 Sprinter. The bottom layer only for when I'm stopped and they slide out to the sides. We'll see, but during the research I found https://oriondesigns.ca/ who has some great rails, slides, motor set up. I'll send pic when we're done. Here is a before shot. We are going to take off the guardrails, but use the existing deck.20210614_164116.jpg

there is a Canadian company selling a dual level where the lower level slides out. can't seem to find the link anymore...

In Australia you can buy those as well. https://trailerpartsdirect.com.au/s.../solar-panels/100-watt-slide-out-solar-panel/

It's not that difficult of a project - 2 industrial drawer slides a bunch of hardware and some measurements - make sure that roof mount is strong - you are building a nice big sail there.
https://oriondesigns.ca/ this one? Beautiful (and pricey).

https://oriondesigns.ca/ this one? Beautiful (and pricey).
thanks, yeah !! thanks. Was searching forever.

When I found them they where still in preproduction. Apparently they are selling now. Over $1000 to slide one 400w panel.

I see you putting this together on other threads. I just have to say to be careful about winds with any extendable solar array. I don’t know how they will hold out.
you can get a RV- Awning wind sensor. The electric ones come with one - those pull the awing (or panel) in when you got significant wind.

For either the Orion parts or the Australian one, would have been nice to see a wind rating. The wind was shaking the trailer a few nights the places I stay at. I dom’t know how a slide out panel would hold up to that. I also think the winds may have been winter only.

For either the Orion parts or the Australian one, would have been nice to see a wind rating. The wind was shaking the trailer a few nights the places I stay at. I dom’t know how a slide out panel would hold up to that. I also think the winds may have been winter only.
Wind is always a factor but looking at their (Orion Design's) engineering department and how they are coming at this I suspect they are solid! For my own use I will be putting them out only while I'm there during the daylight hours and would be able to retract as needed for windy weather. I'm 69 and not that capable of doing too much myself so I'd love that motorized version. Adding 400 watts to get 30A more solar (I have an old 100 w panel now) is definitely going to help me keep my 224ah AGMs fully charged, so I can keep a few things cold, watch a movie and charge up the laptop. I also have a Zamp portable with 140 watts if I am someplace I can put it out.

I am working with Bogart Engineering (SF Bay Area, Calif) to transform a rooftop deck into two layers of panels, giving me 400 more watts on my 2006 Sprinter. The bottom layer only for when I'm stopped and they slide out to the sides. We'll see, but during the research I found https://oriondesigns.ca/ who has some great rails, slides, motor set up. I'll send pic when we're done. Here is a before shot. We are going to take off the guardrails, but use the existing deck.

Any update on your project?

Hi.yes. The 4 panels are up and 2 with drawer slides work great. It is a "basic" setup, not fancy. I pull them out when parked and it adds 12-20 amps (*edited from 8-10 amps, I often get 16). Wire cables for pulling then back in and securing so they stay in. So far so good.
20211026_153037_036.jpg

Last edited:
Any update on your project?
Yep - see the photos above. We used stainless steel drawer slides 150 lb rating (although I wish he'd gone with more). I just pull them out with an older little rake that I found at a used tool shed that I actually had bought a few months ago to help me pull the sewer valve lever from underneath, dual purpose. I was restricted to 4-100 watt panels due to the size of the roof rack that we repurposed for the cause.

Back