diy solar

diy solar

Dumb grounding question

James D

hello everyone. Im sorry if this is a dumb question but I have to ask. Im putting together a small 12v battery backup in my house for emergency power. I have a 2500 cobra inverter that has to be grounded. Since this setup will be In the living room while in use, is it possible to ground it by attaching a grounding wire to a nail and sticking it in the ground of my wall outlet? Once again sorry if that's a dumb question. I just figured since the 3rd hole in the wall outlets are the ground that it would make sense. Thanks for any advice.

With the small scale of your system, I think grounding to the house ground might be barely adequate, though a nail sticking in the socket is a bit tenuous? I'd get a real screw-together socket and proper attach just the ground wire to it. Something like this. Keep in mind that if something really went wrong, and inverter tried dumping all 2500W through the ground wire of the house, the house wiring ground might not be able to handle it.

1624546834457.png

Would simply staking the ground wire into the ground in my back yard with a tent stake work?

I'm not sure what that is lol. I just know that my inverter has a spot for a grounding wire on the back and I was just trying to be safe and figure out how I could ground it when I will have it in the living room

Any easy ideas would be very much appreciated. So far it sounds like grounding it into my wall outlet is not such a good idea LOL. My back door is close. Would using a tent stake to stake it into the dirt be a good option

Any easy ideas would be very much appreciated. So far it sounds like grounding it into my wall outlet is not such a good idea LOL. My back door is close. Would using a tent stake to stake it into the dirt be a good option
Not a chance. A proper grounding rod is 8 feet long. Another potential grounding point are any metal water pipes that are known to go into the ground. What about about nearby metal posts sunk in concrete?

Only metal things I can see outside would be my hose spigot and the gas meter. The gas meter goes into the ground with that work?

I'd say the best choice would be the house spigot. Is it a metal pipe that you see going into the ground?

Intuitively, I would not want a grounding connection attached to a flammable gas line. Maybe that's just me?

Im putting together a small 12v battery backup in my house for emergency power. I have a 2500 cobra inverter that has to be grounded.
Just out of curiosity, is this a pure sine wave inverter? And what do you plan to do with this inverter in an emergency? What do you have for a battery bank?

And from what I've heard in this discussion, using the inverter on occasion without a ground sounds a lot safer than trying to put a nail in a receptacle.

Grounding is multi-faceted and complicated.

Just out of curiosity, is this a pure sine wave inverter? And what do you plan to do with this inverter in an emergency? What do you have for a battery bank?

And from what I've heard in this discussion, using the inverter on occasion without a ground sounds a lot safer than trying to put a nail in a receptacle.

I have three small 12-volt deep cycle batteries and a 2500 watt Cobra inverter. The converter is not pure sine but modified sine whatever that means. I will be using it to power the fridge and lights and maybe a fan. I would like to also power the TV but since it is not pure sine I'm not sure if that would be safe

Is the size of your batteries a secret?
What I envision as small deep cycle batteries, even 3 of them, will not come close to powering the things you expect to power. And its very possible that your refrigerator will not run smoothly, if at all, from a modified sine wave inverter.

Is the size of your batteries a secret?
What I envision as small deep cycle batteries, even 3 of them, will not come close to powering the things you expect to power. And its very possible that your refrigerator will not run smoothly, if at all, from a modified sine wave inverter.
Sorry. 3 18ah 12 volts. Still kinda new to all of this

Im glad I joined this forum. Thanks for all the patience and good information so far. Im still learning

Lets do some math. I will assume you have the same 27cuft EnergyStar refrigerator that I have. It uses about 125w when "running" which is about 1/3 of the time (20 min per hour). It uses about 20w when idling (40 min per hour).

125w x .33 x 24h = 990wh
20w x .66 x 24h = 317wh
1307wh per day

Your batteries (lead acid so 50% usable/dischargeable):
3 x 18ah x .50 x 12.8v = 345wh

15% inverter loss: 345 x .85 = 293wh

293/1307wh =
.22days x 24h/day = 5.28h runtime for just the fridge on fully charged batteries (everything operating at 100%)

Now are you sorry you joined?

Lets do some math. I will assume you have the same 27cuft EnergyStar refrigerator that I have. It uses about 125w when "running" which is about 1/3 of the time (20 min per hour). It uses about 20w when idling (40 min per hour).

125w x .33 x 24h = 990wh
20w x .66 x 24h = 317wh
1307wh per day

Your batteries (lead acid so 50% usable/dischargeable):
3 x 18ah x .50 x 12.8v = 345wh

15% inverter loss: 345 x .85 = 293wh

293/1307wh =
.22days x 24h/day = 5.28h runtime for just the fridge on fully charged batteries (everything operating at 100%)

Now are you sorry you joined?
Why would I be sorry. This is exactly the kind of information I need to know lol. Also I found a thick ground wire going from my electric meter into the ground. Would that work?

Why would I be sorry. This is exactly the kind of information I need to know lol. Also I found a thick ground wire going from my electric meter into the ground. Would that work?
I am new to and will second what James said
This is great information

I am following this thread
Same question but mine is a emergency generator 24v
It will just be used to power (maybe) not all at once
Router
Modem
Tv
Power wheelchair charger
CPAP machine
If I use the plastic boxes on wheels ( like most plans have) where should I attach the grounding (from the screw on the inverter body) ?
I am thinking about using a WZRELB brand 24v 2000w inverter
I have 2 lithium 24v 32ah batteries parallel for 24v 64ah
Battery specs
Internal Resistance ≤0.8mΩ

Max Charge Rate 120A
Recommend Continuous Discharge Rate 200A
Pulse Discharge Rate(3 seconds) 400A
Fully Charged voltage 4.2V
Discharge cut off voltage 2.5V
Working Charge Temp 0~50°C
Working Discharge Temp –20°C~50°C
Storage Temperature –20°C~50°C

I am not sure I know enough to be jumping in fully on this. But agree with MisterSandals for the most part. The one place I am not sure I agree is the grounding. First though, the ground wire by the power meter is the main one and is more than sufficient. It grounds the whole house so that little load is fine. The other one that showed a cheap plug would also work. You plug only the ground in and plug it into the wall. It handles a 15 amp circuit which is 1800 watts. It is more to send stray voltage to ground first and not through you. Second is the batteries and inverter. In many cases a cheaper modified inverter does not run many things well. Especially sensitive electronics. You would be better off getting 2 cheaper 800 watt full sine wave inverters to run your cpap and a regular refrigerator. Will Prow’s had a video that he recommended some inverters and I think it is on his site. I bought the 800 watt one and ran my cpap for several nights but it is 12 volt. I think you can get the 24v version of the inverters. The fridge is the same even if you have a bigger fridge it should still pull less than 800 peak. And like 250 watt normal. Get a plug in wall watt meter (kill-a-watt) from amazon, eBay or harbor freight to know for sure. The batteries are too small. I was powering 2 fridges about 450 watt draw. I used 130 ah x 48v lifepoe4 and recharging them with 4 x 310 watt solar panels and would not keep up. That is a different setup but using for reference… Every 24 hours or so would have to recharge to keep up. But hey in an emergency every little bit helps. Another idea is a small inverter generator to keep things charged. Run it over couple of hours to charge batteries keep the items going and stretch what you have out as long as possible. Good luck.

Back