diy solar

diy solar

Dumb question about battery, inverter/charger and other 12v components.

topperharley

Alright, probably a dumb question but I'd love an answer and reasoning to it.

So I will be connecting a Victron multiplus 3000 12v to my diy 280AH EVE battery in my RV. If memory serves me right, this has a 120amp max charge capacity. Between the inverter/charger and battery will be 4/0 cables. However, also connected to the batteries, with much smaller gauge, will be all the dc components of my trailer. So how exactly does the current not extend to the other DC components connected to the battery? Is is because the battery sucks up all the juice? Always wondered this with my current set up, but now even more curious that I'm upgrading the system.

Loads pull. They don't push.

The battery and loads PULL current. The charger does not push it. The charger can supply up to 120A, but devices will only pull what they need.

+1 to snoobler.
Just think about it, for example your AC outlet can supply 120VAC up to 15A of current (1800W), so if you plug 40W lamp into the socket, the lamp will be pulling 0.33A (40W of power) and not more, if you plug 100W into the socket, then it will be pulling 0.83A (100W of power).

Awesome, thanks for the response, makes perfect sense. Not sure why I thought the charger was sending power regardless of draw. I knew it was a dumb question!

Back