diy solar

diy solar

Dumb question about physically moving solar panels

SajgZi

How do you guys actually get panels on your roof? I moved 2x 310W canadian solar panels onto the short roof above my garage and it was not easy. I backed my truck a little bit into the open garage and hoisted the panels from the ground (leaning against the truck) to the truck bed, then further onto the roof. I ended up scratching the side of my truck a little even though I had towels between the panels and paint. Carrying them up a ladder would not be possible (49lb/22kg). Do you guys build ramps? Pulley system? Crane? What have you used to get panels raised?

The "best" way probably depends on the slope of the roof. I've a flat roof and mine was a two man job, one on the roof to receive and one on the ground to put against the ladder and "push it up". Best idea I saw I believe was from @Hedges - which was to use a cheap winch from harbor freight with a wireless remote... just clip it on and up it goes.

For me, it was a two person job. The pickup bed was used to get the "ground" person up higher. I was the "roof" person and helped pull the panel up. These bigger panels are a lot of work. Short of using a conveyor belt like they use to get packs of shingles on a roof, I'm not aware of an easy way to do it.

How do you guys actually get panels on your roof?
Below the panel is plywood coming about 60% of the way up the panel, I have sides that go slightly above the panel and put a strap around the bottom (doesn't touch the panel but will keep it from coming off it need be). When its up to where you want you just grab it and let the cradle back down.

I did 410watt panels up this very steep (40+ feet) incline.

Think of it as a reverse zip line. Would work on a roof as long as you make/have something that starts up top as well.

It took me a day to perfect it all, out of 14 panels not even a scare that I'd break one.

You could also rent a crane.

I choose the cradle as I feared putting strain going right to the panel itself, plus this way I could just slide the panel out once up (nothing attaches it to the cradle).

Attachments

• IMG_20210703_094618416.jpg
    IMG_20210703_094618416.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 47
Thanks for all the replies everyone! Pretty broad range of responses.. Most of these came to my mind in one way or another. I do like the remote controlled winch idea. That and the reverse zip line require mounting it somewhere sturdy (not too hard of a task, would just need to button screw holes back up with silicone caulk or whatever). Crane is easiest but most expensive. Sliding up a ladder is a 2 person job - my wife wouldn't willing help but she would help. Hiring people is the safest way to do it. Lots of choices. Time to ponder a bit while I troll craigslist/FB marketplace for more panels...

My property is sloped, so eaves on one side are only 3' high. Came home one day and my dog was perched on the ridge like Snoopy on his dog house. I just walked up a step stool carrying 327W panels.

For ground mounts, I've strapped a ladder to the mount and climbed with one hand while awkwardly carrying panels.
Future upgrade, I think I'll make a wheeled dolly that attaches to the panel so I can start at the bottom and roll each panel over the ones below.

For a tall house, alternative might be to rig up an extension ladder so it pivots from flat to vertical. Your accomplice attaches PV panel to ladder, then you pull a rope to tilt it up against the gutter. Get yourself a fall-stop harness and shorten it to where you can't fall off.

I had a pallet jack telescoping at work - loaded and unloaded stuff from high stacking units with that thing all the time.

Super easy - you can get the whole palette on the roof with one move.
1625830805124.png

I made a simple wooden frame and carried them up the ladder to the flat roof. 14 panels about 22/23Kg. (and I'm not a young man haha)

Lifting Panel.jpg

Last edited:
I bought one of these boom lifts used, but you can rent them by the day. When I reroofed I made hooks for the front of the bucket and carried the plywood up on the hooks, you could do the same thing with panels. You can position it below your work area and use it like a backstop and work bench for tools. I use mine for everything from tree trimming to painting the house, best money I ever spent.

I made a simple wooden frame and carried them up the ladder to the flat roof. 14 panels about 22/23Kg. (and I'm not a young man haha)

View attachment 56040
Thanks for sharing this.

Having lifted a few 300 Watt panels from the inner aluminum edge, even though it's not "sharp" per se, it still cuts off the circulation in my fingers like a ...

Having a frame with a decent surface area turns it from a finger circulation stopping horror show into an awkward but manageable load.

MOVE DELIBERATELY! and respect momentum / inertia.

I’d tape apiece of foam board to the face and slide them above me up a ladder to a receiver person on the roof.

You just need The right man for the job, he just runs up the ladder with the panel in his right hand and rests it on his shoulder , holds the top of the ladder with his left hand and steps off on to the roof .
Runs to the top and hooks the wires and screws down the panel .
My daughter would hold the bottom of the ladder so it dosent slip out .
i lifted some up to him with my daughter but it was easer for him to just carry them .
I have 3 strings of 3 up there and there is a extra panel just in case we break one
This is a move we make every day , material go’s up the ladder and on the roof ?
4x8 sheets of ply wood are harder the wind gets under them .

9BD2ED14-D94F-479A-B71F-A4F55F9A4544.jpeg

Best method is age dependent:

Age 18-35: One man taking it up a ladder on his shoulder.
Age 36-55: Two man job.
Age 56-65: Three man job.
Age 66-75: Hire a crew
Over age 75: Fagetaboutit. The break even point is too far out.

Reactions: Eri
Must be a lot of wimps out there... That's me on the ladder a couple of posts above with one under the arm...age 73. No need for a crew. Just do it.

Over age 75: Fagetaboutit. The break even point is too far out.

That's what I thought about my mother 20 years ago when I put in my PV, so didn't recommend it to her.
She's 101 now.
Break-even on GT PV is now about 1 to 3 years before labor (depending on utility rates.)
3 to 9 years including labor.
That's based on my local $0.15 to $0.50/kWh. If you pay $0.05/kWh, PV isn't for you.

Back