diy solar

diy solar

Dumb Question Regarding the Growatt 12kW 48V 250VDC 120A Off-Grid Inverter

I had this same concern. Probably not a problem, but I use a 3 pole transfer switch to insure isolation. That way no connection to the inverter at all when not in use.
The second picture here is how i wired mine, have generator hooked with manual switch over, all Grounds are hooked together and all neutrals are bonded together, only 1 neutral to ground bond is at house panel, generator is grounded with neutral to frame bond removed, Joe. https://watts247.com/education/

How does this unit handle large inductive loads like starting a well pump, air compressor or large miter chop saw? Is it UL approved?
Mine hardly notices when my 1 HP well pump or Air Compressor starts. Even less with the miter saw. It also starts a 4 TON AC Unit with only a minor dim of the lights (even when my other 2 ton unit is already running).

Mine hardly notices when my 1 HP well pump or Air Compressor starts. Even less with the miter saw. It also starts a 4 TON AC Unit with only a minor dim of the lights (even when my other 2 ton unit is already running).
And so u run a 4 ton and 2 ton on it at the same time?

I have the Growatt SPF-6000T-DVM low frequency split phase 6kw inverter and yes L1,L2.and neutral go to sub panel feeding my garage. Had the exact same confusion when installed 9-1-2020, see watts247 info here - https://i0.wp.com/watts247.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/PanelWiring2of2.jpg?resize=1536,861&ssl=1
Here is my wiring with manual transfer generator, all neutral and grounds bond together, just no neutral to ground bonding except at house breaker box ONLY, Joe.
View attachment 50976
I see in your diagram (thank you for sharing - its fantastic) that you are using 100 Amp breakers on your main 48v battery bank. I'm installing the same inverter you have - SPF6000T MPV, and I was going to fuse the main line from my battery bank with a 250 amp Class T fuse, according to the calculations I put together. The inverter manual doesn't speak to what kind of over-current protection to use and at what amperage, so I'm just coming up with my best guess. But 100 amps and 250 amps is a big difference. Can you please explain what led you to the 100 amps decision, especially since you have the exact same inverter? Thanks!

I see in your diagram (thank you for sharing - its fantastic) that you are using 100 Amp breakers on your main 48v battery bank. I'm installing the same inverter you have - SPF6000T MPV, and I was going to fuse the main line from my battery bank with a 250 amp Class T fuse, according to the calculations I put together. The inverter manual doesn't speak to what kind of over-current protection to use and at what amperage, so I'm just coming up with my best guess. But 100 amps and 250 amps is a big difference. Can you please explain what led you to the 100 amps decision, especially since you have the exact same inverter? Thanks!
Sure thanks, even know I have 1000 ah of battery there will never be more than 80 amps from Inverter to Batteries and never more than 80 amps from Battery to Inverter, so the 100a breaker is short circuit/disconnect protection. My system is built as backup for power lose/catastophe to run essential appliances only, while it does save 45 to 50 a month off the electric bill it's primary use is backup, hope that makes sense, Joe.

Fyi, the 100a breaker is a motor control breaker that has a surge trip starting around 300a up 1000a surge, so don't think it will ever trip unless short circuit, mainly to protect wiring and batteries and main disconnect with 100w resistor bypass bottom, it's set for 300a surge - as low as it will go. If you look closely it sais "for dc use outside post" - my dad gave it to me.

1633901409551.png 1633901488411.png

@Joe BoyKey ... any chance you can snap a few pics of your inverter install and how you laid out the switchgear at the inverter?

I'm trying to decide if I need / want a breaker in between the battery bank and the inverter. Seems it would need to be at least 200 amps? But finding one seems to be a challenge. Midnite Solar has a DC 250amp, but not finding a suitable housing. I am actually considering just buying a Midnite E-Panel for the Conext SW and modifying to work with the Growatt 12kw. But $450ish :cautious:

Also, curious, what size battery cable are you using to attach the 12kw to the battery bank? I'm thinking 4/0 (0000)

And what size AC wire are you using to make the connection from the 12kw to the load panel. I was thinking 6awg if it will fit under the screw terminals of the 12kw. I will be setting it up 240vac Split phase.

@Joe BoyKey ... any chance you can snap a few pics of your inverter install and how you laid out the switchgear at the inverter?

I'm trying to decide if I need / want a breaker in between the battery bank and the inverter. Seems it would need to be at least 200 amps? But finding one seems to be a challenge. Midnite Solar has a DC 250amp, but not finding a suitable housing. I am actually considering just buying a Midnite E-Panel for the Conext SW and modifying to work with the Growatt 12kw. But $450ish :cautious:

Also, curious, what size battery cable are you using to attach the 12kw to the battery bank? I'm thinking 4/0 (0000)

And what size AC wire are you using to make the connection from the 12kw to the load panel. I was thinking 6awg if it will fit under the screw terminals of the 12kw. I will be setting it up 240vac Split phase.
You need a Breaker/Disconnect and also a charge resistor, the push button bypasses breaker with 25 ohm 100w resistor to charge inverter prior to flipping breaker on, also have a 100a breaker at the battery.1634301715200.jpeg

These kind work perfect, Joe.1634302295163.png

How does this unit handle large inductive loads like starting a well pump, air compressor or large miter chop saw? Is it UL approved?
I put in the 6kw unit and it works like a champ! My well pump pulls almost 19 amps surge on startup and the heat pump water heater pulls 20 amps surge. No problem, it didn't blink.

What is the idle power draw of the 6kw and/or 12kw. Seems like I have read it is upward of 200 watts just sitting there? Yikes.

Thanks, the Push Button precharger looks like it is on your AC breaker out? Are you battery cables run in behind the wall?
The breaker is dc, it has printed on "use outside post for dc" also #8 is good for 55amps ac

1634302677515.jpeg

Last edited:
So 48v x 0.84amps ... you're seeing 40ish watts of idle draw. Nice. Thanks so much. Very helpful. My goal is to do the pre order today of the 12kw and 16 440w panels for an array.

Does your inverter have the 2 PV inputs? the 12kw has 2 PV inputs but no where in the manual does it say much about it. I'm wondering if that means it is actually 2 60amp MPPTs instead of 1 120 MPPT. Seems like that would mean Id need to split my array into 2 arrays, which is not a big deal as I was planning to do 3 different orientations. A SSW / S / SSE. I also wonder if with this orientation If could exceed the 7000w array size spec of the 12kw (noted in the manual) if I kept it to 200vdc? I would really like to add 1 more series group to the SSW orientation and 1 more series group to the SSE orientation, making it a total 10560 watt array.

But Still unclear what the 2 PV inputs on the Growatt 12kw are specifically.

But here is my basic idea
Array Layout Design.JPG

Back