diy solar

diy solar

Dumb question

eventually converting to a 48 volt inverter, but that is down the road.
60 amp rating is amps going into the battery. 16panels x 200watts = 3200watts.. 3200watts = 133amps @ 24 volts going into the battery.
@GregN5XO This is the reason increasing series and going 48 volts makes sense now because you will improve your nominal potential by double. Round numbers anyway

8 12V 200Ah batteries is 1600Ah nominal.
As a general statement this is incorrect. It's only true if the 8 batteries are in 8P.

8 12V 200Ah batteries is 20.48kWh (8 x 12.8V x 200Ah) nominal. The voltage and amp-hours depends on the actual arrangement. I know you know that but it might confuse others.

So you are saying....That my 8 - 12 volt 200 amp batteries wired in series and parallel are not producing 24 volts and 800 amps, but really generating 24 volts at 1600 amps.
Your batteries in 2S4P are 24V 800Ah. It seems you confused amps and watts when reading some of the replies.

As a general statement this is incorrect. It's only true if the 8 batteries are in 8P.
The voltage and amp-hours depends on the actual arrangement. I know you know that but it might confuse others.
Good point; I did not include the setting. Was just referring to OP statement.

I should have included a qualifier. Sorry

In that vein, balancing n equalizing are the same thing??
If my sok 206 is set at 13.5 max charge, is that enough for balancing?
And, whether my mt50 says in boost or float is irrelevant?

I have no need for that few amps on top

balancing n equalizing are the same thing??
No.

Equalizing is what you do every so often to a lead acid battery to break its sulfation and chemical adhesion to the lead aloyy. Like 15-16V

Balancing is for LiFePo battery cells where you use extended controlled charging with specific criteria to make multiple self-contained cells in a “pack” have the same discharge potential (output potential) and play well together.

If you equalize a LiFePo at best you will discharge your bank account; at worst you could create a fire.

Back